3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 RAM 1500 Wheel Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Gorhad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is to do with when the truck ****s its weight like a creaking noise. Its on the passenger side and its coming from i think around the shock/spring area. I know the vehicle had a front end bump on that side they hit a wild boar. I sprayed the hell out of all the apparatus under there but no luck still doing it

Old 05-10-2011, 04:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Check the shock mounts. I've had a broken one before and it made a similar sound.
I also obviously didn't tighten one of them on my Grand Cherokee when I changed shocks about two years ago, because I had an annoying squeek that was driving me nuts and of course, since I installed the shocks, never fathomed I might have f*cked up so I spend half a day looking at EVERYTHING else it could possibly be before I tugged on the shock and it wiggled back and forth in the mount, going SQUEEK-SQUEEK-SQUEEK. I can promise you, that summbiotch won't loosen again! I may have to cut it out with a torch when it needs replacing, but it won't loosen on it's own again...

Old 05-17-2011, 05:06 AM
Gorhad
Professional

OK so i fitted the new wheel hub/bearing yesterday and the humming noise has gone. What i did notice is that the lower ball joint needs replacing. Are they easy to do or should i get it to the shop and would that have caused the squeaking noise?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 AM
stenerson
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gorhad
OK so i fitted the new wheel hub/bearing yesterday and the humming noise has gone. What i did notice is that the lower ball joint needs replacing. Are they easy to do or should i get it to the shop and would that have caused the squeaking noise?

Thanks
They're easy enough to do. Lot's of threads here with details. I did mine couple weeks ago along with wheel bearing hub assembly.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:03 AM
Gorhad
Professional

Should i replace the upper one too, i can only find it with the control arm as a unit

Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 AM
stenerson
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gorhad
Should i replace the upper one too, i can only find it with the control arm as a unit
Yeah it's a complete unit. I would only change it if it needs it. Unlike the bottom one the top one is easy to access anytime you need to . I used a large tie rod puller to release it from the steering knuckle.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:32 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I also recommend replacing both lower BJ and UCA w/BJ. If one is bad the others are not far behind more than likely. Check out www.rockauto.com for some good prices.

You can also take those same part numbers and look on ebay for some as well.

As said, there are plenty of threads on how to change BJs. That should not be an issue but let us know if you need help. Obviously, an alignment afterwards will be needed bo be prepared.

Also, consider replacing tie rods since you are this far into it. Tie rods are cheap.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Gorhad
Professional

OK thanks all i will get them and try it myself. I can loan or buy the tools from Advance Auto i think.

Would that cause the freakin horrible squeaking noise i have?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Squeaking could be a lot of simple things. You need someone with you to help find it most of the time

Quick Reply: 2004 RAM 1500 Wheel Noise?