3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ASD relay not getting ground from pcm

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure where your from.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ273347829

I was looking at this one before, but got one from a wrecker instead for only 100$, keep looking on used item sites, craigslist etc.

I still have my old one, only issue was the running lights on mine.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I also would be checking Ebay, Craigslist and various other Dodge sites for a truck getting parted out

Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 PM
johnwojo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i dont think im going to chance it with a used one. seems like its very common, and most likely a used one is going to have problems too

Old 01-04-2012, 03:25 PM
alpinegreenneon

I'm resurrecting this old thread to shed a little more info that may help others. My son's '04 Ram had the same symptoms as the OP. This turns out to be something almost anyone can fix themselves and for a lot less money. The fusebox or Integrated Power Module is not difficult to remove.
Check these links if you are not intimidated by automotive electronics:
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...1-t222371.html
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...2-t222373.html

The IPM can be purchased from any online Mopar site for much less than the list price. The part number for the '04 Ram is 68005476AA. It comes with instructions and a special shield to help prevent corrosion.
discountmoparparts.net
moparonlineparts.com
DodgeCarAndTruckParts.com (formerly wermoparonline)
MoparPartsAmerica.com

Consider getting the shield to prevent future problems. The part number for just the shield is 5174058AA.

Last edited by alpinegreenneon; 01-24-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM
alpinegreenneon

I was able to disassemble and find the problem with the IPM. There was a hint on the outside of the IPM

Inside there was a spot where the trace completely corroded off the board:

At first it appeared that this spot did not affect the circuit. Looking at the other side of the board, there were two solder points exactly opposite of the corrosion on the board. They are actually connections to the other side except the trace on the other side was gone leaving an open in the circuit:

Carefully, I removed some of the green coating on the trace that was still left adjacent to the corrosion:

Next I soldered a strand of wire between the two holes and to the trace that was left:

I am fairly certain that this what was causing the no start. I have reassembled the IPM and will keep it as a spare.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:38 PM
dumokie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick input on PCM not supply ground to ASD relay.. 2003 dodge ram 4.7
I bought a 2003 ram from a man who had given up on it.. He had taken it to several shops, Replaced virtually every sensor, fuel pump.. On and on.
They came to conclusion the T.I.P.M. and PCM had to be replaced.
I took it home and checked everything again.
Losing ground from PCM to ASD relay... No codes.. Scanner values looked good while it ran. No ignition oscilloscope on my scanner (would have been real helpful)
Displayed different symptoms.. Short crank time with starter cutting out no start, Start run idle and die.. Hold at high idle then WOT and everything cuts off..
Measured coil resistance.. Not in specs several of them.. Replaced ignition coils and that fixed it!
Apparently if PCM sees bad primary ignition voltages it shuts down the show and wont tell you.. No codes!! Intermittent as heck, different symptoms
Hope this helps someone.. Any input welcomed..

The following users liked this post:
jwalton (02-22-2021)

Quick Reply: ASD relay not getting ground from pcm