3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ASD relay not getting ground from pcm

Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 AM
johnwojo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASD relay not getting ground from pcm

i have a 2004 dodge ram quad cab 5.7 4x4

truck ran great til last friday night. took it on a 75 mile trip parked it for a few minutes and went to start it back up, had full power (windows, radio, lights etc...) but the gauges wouldnt move when key was turned to the on position, fuel pump wouldnt turn on, shifter indicator wasnt present around the gears. after messing with it for a few hours and not finding the problem i was going to have it towed home. but then it started up fine and drove home no problem. drove the truck sunday with no issues. went to start it last night and wouldnt start, same problem.

after a bunch of testing and digging around i found that the ASD relay isnt getting the ground signal from the pcm. im able to manual ground the relay to start the truck. anyone know what the issue might be? would a new pcm fix the issue or could one of the modules be causing the pcm not to function properly. i know our trucks have more computers then a caddy so anything could be causing the issue.

also there is no obd2 signal when asd relay isnt working. no check engine codes. and also since the first time the problem happened on friday my out side temp reading on the overhead console has read 130 degrees

Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Download the 04 manual from my signature link. I know i had read about the OHD temp displaying 130* being either shorted or an open circuit..

As for the ASD and ground issue, only the manual and schematics are going to help at this point unless someone else has had the same issue.

Welcome to the site

Old 05-12-2011, 12:34 PM
johnwojo

i have access to mitchells schmetics and started going though everything last night but everything so far is looking good. temp sensor is working correctly so im guessing its a pcm issue

Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 AM
johnwojo

narrowed it down to either the pcm going bad or the fusebox/fcm going bad.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a trace in the fuse box, they can blow traces quite easily.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Look under your fuse box. The 2002-2005 had lots of corroding issue's on the underside. You might be a victim of the corrosion.
Best bet is to flip the whole thing over or if you can get under there somehow and take a peek at the terminals. I woiuld squeeze all kinds of dielectric grease in there while your in there.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I was going to say the same as DirtyDog did. We see more issues from the bottom of the fuse block than the PCM but anything is possible.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 PM
johnwojo

i pulled the fuse box last night and all the connections look good. since i bought the truck a few years ago my trailer lights didnt work on the left side due to a bad internal relay on the circuit board of fuse box. the pcm isnt grounding the asd relay as is should but in starting to think maybe the fuse box or the front control module is bad.

called the dealer and a new fuse box is $475 and is on back order and they have no clue when they could have it, said at least a few weeks. tried finding a used one but no luck, found some at a local yard that specializes in the srt10, fuse box looks the same but different part number so im guess its different and will not work.

found a used pcm at a yard 1.5 hours away that i think ill drive to after work and get today, i do have access to a scanner to program the pcm so i guess ill start with that and see if that fixes it and go from there

Old 05-14-2011, 12:40 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional

I had a similar problem as you but with my Dakota. I ended up changing out lots of parts: fuel pump, MAP sensor, coil, alternator, ABS speed sensor... The feedback I got from other members was that a component in the system was causing an internal short after warming up and tripping the ASD relay. I finally decided it was the PCM and swapped it for a rebuilt unit. About 6 months now and no problems.....

Old 05-15-2011, 01:18 PM
johnwojo

turned out to be the fuse box took a crap. good luck finding a new one and dealer is $475 for a new one and they are on back order and dont even have an estimated date. fuse box was only sending out like 2 volts to the pcm, i was able to wire it directly to the battery with a fused line til im able to get a new fuse box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ASD relay not getting ground from pcm