3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Fluid.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 PM
justin101
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid.

My dad has a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 and wants to change his transmission to royal purple synthetic fluid since every other fluid is. But when changing it doesn't some fluid get "stuck" in the torque converter? How would one get that out?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's more than what's in the TC, a typical "drop the pan" filter change gets about 40-50% of the transmission fluid out. I only do changes, but do them more frequently than the recommended interval. Have heard some real horror stories about perfectly working trannies being fu(ked after a flush. I'd suspect these people are going to a quickie lube type place.

If you want 100% Royal Purple in there, then you need to flush it...

Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 PM
justin101
Rookie

Would it be a bad idea to mix them, as in what ever I don't get out is still in but fill the rest with royal purple? The truck also has only 30,000 miles.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When I did my change I did it all with 17 quarts of RP also. Not cheap at $11 a quart plus filters but I felt good about it.

I dropped my pan and drained the oil and changed the filters. I put fresh RP oil in it and disconnected the trans oil line at the coupler just before it goes into the cooler. You need a 3/8 fuel line disconnect tool to slide in the couple and then pull it apart. Once I had it apart I push on a 3ft section of 3/8 hose and run it to a bucket. Then I started the truck and let the trans pump push the old oil out and into the bucket. After about 10-15 seconds I shut it off and refilled and kept doing this until I had all 17 quarts in it.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM
nateroach
Veteran

Like weed said ^^

and I hope your old man is prepared to drop 2 bills to get it done (with filters and what not). Granted once you have all RP in there you can just go with the pan drop for subsequent changes but there is the large up front cost of switching.

nateroach

Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah. Mine bill was a bit over two hundred with 17 qrts of RP @ $11 each and I think I paid about $25 for the two filters from AutoZone. I replaced all my trans pan bolts with Grade 5 also. To take it a step further I should have added a drain pan bolt for future drainings.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:07 PM
justin101
Rookie

Yeah he doesn't mind dropping the cash, he treats this truck like his baby. But thanks for the advice on how to drain it.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM
donkeylips

Originally Posted by weedahoe
When I did my change I did it all with 17 quarts of RP also. Not cheap at $11 a quart plus filters but I felt good about it.

I dropped my pan and drained the oil and changed the filters. I put fresh RP oil in it and disconnected the trans oil line at the coupler just before it goes into the cooler. You need a 3/8 fuel line disconnect tool to slide in the couple and then pull it apart. Once I had it apart I push on a 3ft section of 3/8 hose and run it to a bucket. Then I started the truck and let the trans pump push the old oil out and into the bucket. After about 10-15 seconds I shut it off and refilled and kept doing this until I had all 17 quarts in it.

So which line did you disconnect before the cooler? The top line or the bottom line? Both are the same obviously just wondering which line is "hot" and "cold"

And while we're on the subject, is there a gasket for the tranmission pan? If not what kind of sealant is best to use. I've seen a lot of guys get in trouble using too much sealant and having it squeeze back into the pan. Is this an issue on these trucks or does the pan have a fairly wide flange?

Thanks for any help, like to get educated before diving in.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 AM
stenerson
Veteran

Originally Posted by donkeylips
So which line did you disconnect before the cooler? The top line or the bottom line? Both are the same obviously just wondering which line is "hot" and "cold"

And while we're on the subject, is there a gasket for the tranmission pan? If not what kind of sealant is best to use. I've seen a lot of guys get in trouble using too much sealant and having it squeeze back into the pan. Is this an issue on these trucks or does the pan have a fairly wide flange?

Thanks for any help, like to get educated before diving in.
I did it a couple times and used RTV sealant. I use the one that says oil and high temperature resistant.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

As for which line to use, I forget exactly which one but disconnect one and start the truck and see where it comes out at. That will let you know if you got the right or wrong one. Sorry i can be more specific.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid.