3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil leak where the block meets the trans. Power train Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:33 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It was a big selling point for me when looking at trucks.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 PM
tsnyder
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going threw the same thing took truck to dealer the whiped it off and said it was alittle over full from fluid change it shouldnt leak well its back checked this morning.I got my truck to go in on monday got the Hemi tick i think whatever it is might be manifold leak or stud broke but its covered under warranty.

was having truck be sluggish and my iddle at stop in drive would jump here and then and when driving at a steady speed it would fluctuate but no cell so dealership wouldnt fix.

So i took into own hands looked on google for a few days and what i read was prob map or egr but egr i replaced 1.5 years ago went to dealer and he said no cell no replace even under warranty so i bought the dam thing myself $250 for both map and egr unhooked battery nad reset pcm after and man what a difference drives so smooth again now just the dam ticking noise.. i hope its covered

Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Not sure on the tick. The Hemi tick is usually faint and caused by valve stem clearance.
If it is fairly loud, it may be a exhaust manifold stud or two.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 PM
tsnyder
Professional

ya i think it might be the stud issue with our trucks cause on cold startup is worst only really noticeable loudly is if under truck or if in drivethrew when truck is close to wall .i hope its only exhaust issue but main thing is no matter what it is i hope its covered in my gold waranty coverage wich it should be on what i read

Old 05-29-2011, 12:01 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I hope it is covered. Sounds like a stud issue. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:50 PM
tsnyder
Professional

Well dealership called me told me driver side 2 studs broke on manifold so replaced warranty ).Told me the replaced rear main seal warranty).Said my tranny pump seal is bad they ordered and need to book a date for them to replace warranty)

all good news so far now to go pick the gaspig up and see how it runs

Old 05-30-2011, 03:42 PM
tsnyder
Professional

well i got truck back took straight home i noticed different tone with truck more stable and consistant idle crawled under truck noticed rear main seal not touched i talked to service rep before i left with truck said that truck need to come in friday to get tranny droped to replace the trans pump seal and the real main seal also wich makes sence.

wow i wish i had the dough for a upgraded tourqe converter wile they have the trans droped ...dammit

Old 06-01-2011, 04:09 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats what credit cards are for.....

Old 08-27-2012, 02:05 PM
bgarvMA

I know this is an old thread but the picture is exactly what I saw under my 2008 QC 1500 Hemi Ram. Since I never saw a resolution I wanted to post some information. My truck was smelling like burnt/oil so I got under truck to examine. I had the same experience as the OP. I looked further and notice I had oil spray up on the drivers side above the manifold. I brought the truck to the dealer for the first time since I bought it since the original dealer closed. They just called and said I had a bad or cracked MDS soleniod that was leaking oil. I have 98,500 miles on the truck and all the work was covered under the warranty. My mechanic originally thought is was my cylinder head gasket or intake manifold. When I bought the truck I bought the Maximum protection WRAP lifetime bumper to bumper warranty which also would have covered the repair including the head gasket or intake manifold gasket if the end up being the issue.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:55 AM
ssbracing
Default Rear Main Leak

I also have a 2008 5.7 and it had the same thing going on, thought it was rear main seal, I had it in the shop 5 times and had to file a complant with Dodge, ( which effect the dealerships CSI rating and they do not like for there rating to go down) (CSI/customer satisfaction index), once they pulled the trans they found that it was not the rear main but there is 2 allen head plugs up on the back of the block that were loose and did not have thred sealer on them from the factory, they put sealer on them and no more problems. Hope this helps, Good luck!

P.S. It is covered under warranty!

Quick Reply: Oil leak where the block meets the trans. Power train Warranty?