3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing my Rack & Pinion. Need help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 12:53 PM
KidAce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey FreeStyle,

Nope, not even a nimor play on either of the ends. Each time I brought I brought my truck into my mechanic (at least 5 times), to chace down where the clunking was coming from, they verified the tie rod ends were solid.... and it's not like the shop I go to is a rinky-dink mom & pop shop. It's a Brausen Certified Auto Repair shop, and my mechanic has worked on all my vehicles for the past 13 years, so I know he knows what he's doing, but this one really baffled us.

Still, after all that... I love my truck, and I'm loving driving it even more now.
~KidAce

Old 06-27-2011, 02:32 AM
lucky262

I just replaced my front cv axles and they still make that noise. But my front differential doesn't move like that may be part of your problems

Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 PM
KidAce

Originally Posted by lucky262
I just replaced my front cv axles and they still make that noise. But my front differential doesn't move like that may be part of your problems
Hey Lucky,

You know, after I replaced both tie rod ends, the clunking noise did finally go away, so then, I asked my mechanic about the noise and play my CV Axles makes when I shook it by hand. He said that's "normal".

I guess on the 2002 - 2008 (3rd Gen) Rams, the front Diffs are monted on rubber bushings/platform, so there would be enough give to absorb all the vibrations the front axles make when 4WD is engaged, due to its angle of disposition (from the Diff to the axle Hub and bearing assembly).

We'll see if the noise returns again. If not for a few years, then I'm good, but if returns in less than 2 years, I'll have them CV Axles replaced...along with my Rack & Pinion.

~KidAce

Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad to see you got the issues resolved and at a less price!!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 PM
troy1

When you took your CV axle out what did you use to hold your wheel bearing together? With out that nut they can separate also you still could of damaged your wheel bearing.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 PM
KidAce

Great question Troy,

A buddy of mine, who drives a 2006 Ram, had replaced his CV Axles, a while back, and kept his old one (for some strange reason). I'm glad he did though, cuz we were able to disassemble the U-joint on both Axles and took the inner part to plug into the CV box. Worked like a champ.

~KidAce

Quick Reply: Replacing my Rack & Pinion. Need help...