3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi noisy idiling

Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 AM
chasin tails
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hemi noisy idiling

Newbie to dodge hemi family, I have a 03 ram 2500 with 70K. At idle it noisy like a bearing or water pump sound, but goes away if you increase rpm's. The noise is coming from the left of the alternator and towards bottom of motor. Just purchased and ran fine the ride home of about 120 miles. The gauges are reading correctly. Are the hemi's noisy at idle.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site. I suggest you take and use a mechanics stethoscope to locate the noise. Also check the exhaust manifold bolts for any that could be broken or loose

Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 AM
chasin tails
Default noisy hemi

Last night I picked up a serpentine belt $40 to change and inspect pulleys. I found a lower idler pulley all busted up. I changed both idler pulley $40 auto zone and everything running smoothly.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by chasin tails
Last night I picked up a serpentine belt $40 to change and inspect pulleys. I found a lower idler pulley all busted up. I changed both idler pulley $40 auto zone and everything running smoothly.
Good catch.....I've seen snapped serpentines damage a lot of under bonnet stuff!
Al.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hemi noisy idiling