3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 1500 LSD Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
GreenEH
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 1500 LSD Woes

Hey everyone,

I frequent this site often (although I haven't posted much) and in my research I have found that the 9.25" rear ends have a tendency to grenade clutch pack clips. Given the truck was handed down to me from my father and he had never changed the rear differential fluid (its a 2wd) I figured new fluids were long overdue. So I cracked off the diff cover and what do ya know a snapped retainer clip is laying on the magnet! Great... I had a feeling that I would find something since the rear end seemed to be acting up during this past winter's months. So here's where my questions lie: Is the truck fine to drive, or am I expecting a rear end replacement in the near future? The truck has just under 220000kms on it, i want to get as much life out of it as I can while considering the value of the truck itself. Suggestions?

Also, while I was refilling the pumpkin I made a dumba$$ move and knocked the only bottle of mopar LSD additive I had over. I only got about 2 oz of the stuff in the differential, should i be okay?

Thanks guys.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do the gears look? Chipped, broken teeth?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 PM
GreenEH
Professional

No chips that I could see, although I am not an expert at gauging tooth wear. The thing that concerns me is that one piece of the broken clip is no where to be found, perhaps it composed of some of the shavings I removed. Hmm

Old 07-07-2011, 02:58 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by GreenEH
No chips that I could see, although I am not an expert at gauging tooth wear. The thing that concerns me is that one piece of the broken clip is no where to be found, perhaps it composed of some of the shavings I removed. Hmm
See my reply here in this link to darksilver.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...laceing-2.html

The stock Dodge are a notorious POS in the early years and IMHO are a very big and real safety issue!
Can you imagine locking up your diff at 70 on a freeway due to a clip getting stuck in or damaging the gears??
I really don't see how Dodge have got away with this for so many years!.
If you see other clutch pack retaining clips working out of their locating pockets, use some pliers to pull them all out if you can. I ran for over 20K miles without issue and felt safer for it.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Quick Reply: 02 1500 LSD Woes