3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

terrible squeak/chirping need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:22 PM
JDRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default terrible squeak/chirping need help!

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 and about 2 weeks ago it started making this squeak that would come and go. about 4 days ago it started and hasn't stopped since, at first I thought it was a belt but I revved it in park and neutral and nothing happened. The squeak then changed into more of a chirp and I noticed it was happening at idle speed in drive I would make the sound every three feet or so I moved, once I get on the gas the sound is at a constant very loud high pitch tone until the pitch gets to high and fades out, my friend told me to try and shake my drive shaft and see if the universals were bad so I checked the back drive shaft and it was solid as a rock but when I checked my front drive shaft it had some play when you tried to turn it so I thought that I had found the problem but my other friend told me that all Dodge front drive shafts have play in them so my question was #1 is that true? #2 can bad universals cause a chirp like that? and #3 is there any other problem that could cause a sound like that to happen? If you need any more info on what it sounds like or when the noise happens just ask. Can't wait to hear from someone thanks

Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, a bad u-joint will squeak when bad. It only does it when the truck is moving?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:16 PM
froy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ck your brake pads to. some have a tang on them that rubs on roter and gives a chirping sound to let you know they need replacing. sticking caliper will cause pads to go fast and give you the chirping sound.

Quick Reply: terrible squeak/chirping need help!