3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MDS solenoid causing transient misfires

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:19 AM
redbeardmcg
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry MDS solenoid causing transient misfires

My '07 5.7 started misfiring on cylinder 5 a little while back and kicked two codes -- misfire on cylinder 5 and reactivation control performance (cylinder 5).

I replaced the coil on #5 and changed all of my spark plugs yet the problem continued. After speaking with a Dodge dealership they suggested I reset the PCM which corrected the problem... kinda.

The truck will run great; no hesitation, strong like bull. Then almost out of nowhere this condition starts and cylinder 5 misfires. It sometimes lasts until I reset the PCM, it sometimes clears itself up after a few seconds, and sometimes it goes away if I shut her off and re-start.

Since the truck runs perfectly when not in this condition I've refused to let the dealership charge me for a tuneup (that I've already done) and a fuel system cleaning. They charged me $250 for a PCM software upgrade which was a huge waste of money, and nobody seems to be able to tell me what "reactivation control performance" means.

My guess is an MDS solenoid that is acting up. I contacted a different dealership, and the tech I spoke with agreed that it's the likely culprit -- the problem being this $60 solenoid costs $500 to replace with no guarantee that it will fix the problem.

Any advice from you techs out there?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would get a tuner and disable the MDS and see if that works. If not you could always resale the tuner if you wanted to. You will not be able to resale a MDS solenoid easily.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are mechanically inclined, you may be able to swap the solenoid yourself. They are located in the lifter valley under the intake.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
dtamminen67
Default dodge 5.7 misfire

i have a simular issue i have #7 misfire i have tried pcm coil cps crank p sensor sea foam ohmed all wiring cant find the issue. it was better after sea foam so i replaced mds seloniod still did not fix so my next step was lifters for #7/5 cylinders in process now but there is nothing else it can be head gasket looks good valves ok springs not broke fyi i pulled head withe exhaust man intact and was able to pull head right up and out job is easier than i expected thank god just hope the lifters fix the problem

Old 08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
max240p

Hey guys!

I've got exactly the same **** on my RAM 1500 (2011 year).

What kind of gas did you use before the problem: 91 or 93? Some people keep saying that 91 gas is a reason of MDS death.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:28 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by max240p
Hey guys!

I've got exactly the same **** on my RAM 1500 (2011 year).

What kind of gas did you use before the problem: 91 or 93? Some people keep saying that 91 gas is a reason of MDS death.
octane and MDS have absolutely nothing to do with one another

Old 08-17-2014, 07:01 PM
max240p

Some people say it is. The theory is it happens because sometimes low octane gas couldn't get work hemi correctly on a half of its power. As you may know mds turns off a half of the engine.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

The "other" ppl you are referring to are a bit ill-informed. Octane has nothing to do with MDS. Deactivating cylinders to promote fuel mileage, again, has nothing to do with Octane ratings. Octane ratings will have more to do with spark knock or pre-detonation inside the cylinder. But this can also vary by engine load. Neither spark knock nor pre-detonation have anything to do with MDS. Sorry.

As for the OP, to back this up, bad or poor fuel would not affect one cylinder. The same fuel goes to all cylinders so therefore it would affect all cylinders. So fuel quality or Octane is not the issue.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:32 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
The "other" ppl you are referring to are a bit ill-informed...
Say it ain't so! Those are the same "ppl" who think octane is power.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:28 AM
wjboswell

I had the issue of a smooth warm-up and then 1-2 minutes of driving would shake the 2007 Durango with 5.7 (150,000 miles) and create a P1416 code. If I turned the car off, counted to 5, and then restarted it was great for the rest of the day.

I replaced all the lifters, the #6 MDS, camshaft, purge valve, PCM from a wrecker, spark plugs, heads cleaned and planed, moved all injectors and coil pack around, and the P1416 was still there.

Even though the MDS on cyl #6 was a genuine Mopar from the dealer and replaced only the month before, I decided to replace it again under the 24-month Mopar DIY parts warranty. After 3 days the truck is no longer doing what it was and is not creating any codes. Fingers are crossed the problem was a defective new Mopar MDS.

Quick Reply: MDS solenoid causing transient misfires