3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Symtpoms of stuck/collapsed lifter?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 AM
OzzyDodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symtpoms of stuck/collapsed lifter?

Working through my issue in another thread (valve spring broke, push rod bent etc). https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...estions-3.html

What would be the symptoms of a collapsed or stuck lifter in out trucks (5.7)? How do i get access to inspect them?

Maybe this is too newb a question for a Friday

Thanks.

Last edited by dirtydog; 07-29-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: closed other link...starting fresh again
Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You would have a dead cylinder pretty much. If that lifter isn't rising to drop the valve, then you've essentially lost a cylinder and the exhaust would skip/pop sound. If the exhaust valve is stuck closed let's say, you'll get backpresure in your intake and it'll run terrible and effect the other cylinders. If the intake valve is stuck closed, you'll have a dead cylinder which causes the opposite cylinder to work harder.

These trucks NEED 89+octane or chances are after 80kmi or so of 87oct and all the pinging associated with the cheaper gas can cause and will eventually put a hole in your piston. I'd do a compression check for that. A leakdown test for the lifter to checkand see if the valves are opening/closing. Pressurize the cylinder on a leak down test and rotate the engine one way to check the intake valve(you'll hear air in the intake) and then rotate the other way to check the exhaust valve(air out the tailpipe) It's pretty easy to check. You will likely need an extra ear for the tailpipe.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM
OzzyDodge
Rookie

Thanks for the details, I skipped most of my journey as it is outlined here (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post2560005)

With the head off can I just use a telescoping magnet to pull the suspect lifters then inspect somehow to see if they are good?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a block of wood, some rtv sealant and bolt the head to it and check for the leaks. That's the easiest solution IMO, unless you wanna re-install the head back on your engine with the old gasket?

I closed your other thread since it was many pages long and so you don't get replies in multiple threads.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM
OzzyDodge
Rookie

Ok I got the head off, and tested that the valves are seating using the gas method. All seat correctly.

Better yet, I found a stuck lifter, the same one that goes to the intake valve that bit the dust. I take it i need to take out the plastic retainer to get them out?

From a little research it looks like I should replace it as there is no easy way to fix it. I need to put assembly lube on the new one as well?

Last edited by OzzyDodge; 07-29-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Replace them all while it is apart, not just one.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:04 PM
OzzyDodge
Rookie

Ok, is 70 per 4 lifters a good price?

Old 07-31-2011, 05:40 PM
OzzyDodge
Rookie

Finally!

Through much help by people here and determination THE TRUCK RUNS!!!

I replaced the lifters( I did not soak them beforehand), and used assembly lube.

I put everything together and went to put cooland in and coolanr ran our from between the head and block. * Dumb@ss moment: I flipped the gasket the wrong way. Had to drain refill oil and coolant.

I did the whole thing again, new head gasket of course. Put everthing together and it RAN! Ok it had a tick that made me think I did something wrong. I pout sea foam in it and ran it up and down the street a few times, the sound went away.

Now all that's left is another oil change (since I got coolant in just about everywhere thanks to the gasket mishap) and a few minor thing and she is back on the road.

It was alot of work, but worth it. Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Symtpoms of stuck/collapsed lifter?