3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 3500 A/C not working TIPM

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:32 AM
formosa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 3500 A/C not working TIPM

Hi,
I have a 3500 4x4 cummings and three years ago the A/C and the radio stopped working. The truck was just out of warranty (figures). Went to the dealer and told the TIPM was bad ($1200).

Haven't attended to it as I was deployed to Afghanistan and frankly $1,200 is a lot of money! But the weather is getting hot and need A/C!

Does anyone have experience with the online replacements? I really can't see spending $1,200. Love the truck but this is crazy - why hasn't Dodge recalled this issue??

Thanks -

Old 05-22-2014, 08:23 AM
formosa

To clarify A/C not working means compressor never kicks on. The radio comes on intermittently at start (either comes on for entire time the truck is running or it doesn't).

Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Dealers always like to say TIPM when they cant figure it out(typical).

$1200 is alot. There was another member who stated same price for a 2006.

Did they stop working at the same exact time? or around the same time because it really sounds like you have TWO separate issue's.
I'd explore other options before just throwing that kind of money at it. Have the A/C pressure checked and try a new Low pressure switch on the compressor. if the internal presure of r143a is low, the compressor will not run.
The radio: few diff common problems that I am aware of = bad unit...others have had their radio's re-flashed successfully. One or both Bad batteries!

Why hasnt Dodge recalled what issue? They made the TIPMs intergrated for a specific reason. it's not like millions of people are having identical issue's so there is no need for a recall. TIPM is just a new term for people and to say why hasnt it been recalled is like asking why manufacturers don't recall engines when they fail after old age.
Electronics don't last forever. You probably own a computer, so you can definately relate.

I had a diff problem. and dealer said mine was bad. I said no it was my cluster. They insisted and changed TIPM and same problem. I bought a cluster and it fixed the problem...go figure.
Explore all options, dont just agree with the dealer. They will change whatever parts on your dime because it's money in their pockets regardless!!!

Last edited by dirtydog; 05-22-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:59 AM
formosa

Thanks. Is there anyway to hot wire the A/C to see if it will work? I.e; provide it with 12v? If so, any specific instructions? I'd like to try that before spending on the TIPM. Like you said - it could be on the compressor or pressure itself.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:46 AM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by formosa
Thanks. Is there anyway to hot wire the A/C to see if it will work? I.e; provide it with 12v? If so, any specific instructions? I'd like to try that before spending on the TIPM. Like you said - it could be on the compressor or pressure itself.
I shopped several dealers, the highest was $1200, the lowest was $813. They are not all the same, some will work with you on their parts markups. My symptom was NO turnsignals or hazards. I had no choice. I could have picked one up online, but decided not to, as I was told the dealer still had to install, and of course would not warranty the part. So I avoided all that potential hassle, and went the dealer route. 8 months later, no issues whatsoever.

I would certainly hotwire the A/C to rule out any issues with the compressor. However, I have no idea how to do that. But I am sure it's not difficult!!

Now, I could have sworn someone said they got theirs from NAPA for around $500, and it was plug-n-play. No dealer needed. I would go that route rather than a dealer if that's the case!!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:24 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 66three83
I shopped several dealers, the highest was $1200, the lowest was $813. They are not all the same, some will work with you on their parts markups. My symptom was NO turnsignals or hazards. I had no choice. I could have picked one up online, but decided not to, as I was told the dealer still had to install, and of course would not warranty the part. So I avoided all that potential hassle, and went the dealer route. 8 months later, no issues whatsoever.

I would certainly hotwire the A/C to rule out any issues with the compressor. However, I have no idea how to do that. But I am sure it's not difficult!!

Now, I could have sworn someone said they got theirs from NAPA for around $500, and it was plug-n-play. No dealer needed. I would go that route rather than a dealer if that's the case!!
Actually, there is a TSB and I think recall on this issue for 2006 model year. Guys were having problems when hooking up their trailers and losing those functions. Re-configure and programming that circuit to a higher Amperage solved the problem.

Quick Reply: 2006 3500 A/C not working TIPM