Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Won't Start

Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Won't Start

I recently purchased a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with the 5.7L Hemi engine. I have only owned the vehicle for a week and today it would not start after running perfectly for the last week. The starter does spin the engine fine, but it just doesn't fire. The truck has about 64,000 miles on it.

We all know the engine needs three things (fuel, air, and fire) to run. I believe I am not getting any fuel to the engine. The air filter looks brand new, and when I used just a little starting fluid, it fired right up and died immediately (I know fuel starter is bad juju, so no sermons please.) The brain is not throwing any error codes at all.

By process of elimination, that leaves the engine getting no fuel. (I think) Does anybody have any ideas. I believe I checked all the fuses in the power control module under the hood.

Also, I hate to introduce any new variables into the equation, but for imformational purposes:

I installed my aftermarket Kenwood CD-player using the correct wiring harness and power module (to supply accessory power) that I had originally had in my Dodge Magnum. I tapped into the cigarette lighter for the accessory power.

I installed my Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller using the 3020P harness plugging directly into the brake controller socket under the dash.

I filled the gas tank a few days ago with 87-octane fuel.

It has been hot down here in Florida, and it rained all day prior to my truck having the starter issue.

After installing the brake controller and stereo, the truck ran fine, so I don't think I screwed anything up. Also, I made sure to disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery as I was installing these accessories.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

Carl
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 QCSB 1500 Hemi 4x4

It could be as simple as bad gas, you see it once in a while where the gas station may have a leak and water contaminates the gas after good, heavy rains.

Which btw, I know the "book" says 89 octane recommended but 87 is "ok", but almost without fail everyone I know of who blew a cylinder in a Hemi used 87 octane on a regular basis.

You can check to hear if the fuel pump is coming on, you should be able to hear it. At that point, you should probably check the rail to see if it's getting fuel...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-10-2011 at 07:59 PM..
Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Captain
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 99' CCSB 2500 4x4 cummins

how long did it run once you fired it with starting fluid? long enough to know that all cyl fired?? and yes do what hammer said and report back..
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Garage is empty, add now

It ran for a couple seconds (basically long enough to burn off the starter fluid). I will check and see if I can hear the fuel pump tomorrow. How can I tell if I'm getting fuel at the rail? Is there some sort of fitting I can disconnect to see fuel flowing? Thanks for the help so far.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

grab a fuel pressure gauge or just hit the little pin on the fuel line (there's a little plastic cap you unscrew). If you have fuel pressure, you'll know it.

2005 Black QC 4x4 5.7L on 33x12.5 M.T. MTZs, TTI Longtubes and AT3030, Custom spartan cam grind and tune from inertia motorsports, APS torque converter, ARP head studs, vararam intake, and more - 2200w crystal clear audio. This truck is angry.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006RAM SPORT HEMI CREW

Most definately sounds like a fuel pump,but check it with a gauge first.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Garage is empty, add now

It was the fuel pump. When I turned the switch on, I couldn't hear anything back there by the fuel tank. Also, I pushed the pin in on the fuel rail while the switch was on, and I got nothing.

It's fixed now. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram QC
TrickedOut DodgeRam Weedahoe1977
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

So did you replace the pump or the relay to the pump?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM