3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

crankshaft position sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Tatonks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankshaft position sensor location

I'm trying to replace the crankshaft position sensor on my 2002 dodge ram 1500 5.9L. I can't find it for the life of me. Should I be looking up from the ground or looking down from the top of the engine? I read its on the top of the cylinder block near the rear right cylinder head, but I still can't find it. Whats the best way to get to it and replace it? Anyone with experience in this have any advice? Thanks.

EDIT: I found it. Looks like its gonna be a pain in butt to get to, but I can manage. Thanks all.

Last edited by Tatonks; 09-25-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 PM
gatorheel
Amateur

Any tips on how to find it? I'm replacing it too, but I can't seem to locate the dang thing. I have a 2000, but it is the 5.9, not sure if the location is different between model years.

Matt

Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
gatorheel
Amateur

Found it! I read a lot of descriptions elsewhere, but I'll add mine. If you follow the oil dip tube down the back of the engine, the tube is attached to the engine block in two places (one flange on the tube, one strut towards the driver side) making a Y. The sensor is between this junction and the engine block. If it helps, look for the worst, most unreachable spot and you'll find it. Then again, you can't see it from above and you can't reach it from below....

I removed the air box so I can reach one arm over the throttle body and distributor and the other fits in the very small gap between the passenger side of the block, header, and wheel well. First bolt came out relatively easy, can't get an angle on the 2nd. Taking a break to regroup. I can reach the bolt, but I can't seem to get my hex tool aligned. I can't wait 'till I have to find the bolt hole blind and reinstall!

BTW, I love that the repair manual specs a torque. The only way I'd be able to get a torque wrench in there would be to remove the passenger side header. Sheesh. Joys of the 5.9.

Matt

Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
gatorheel
Amateur

New sensor is in, engine cranks fine but I'm getting a tapping which changes along with RPM. I assume the new sensor is actually hitting the flywheel, correct? Is there any thing I can do other than loosen up the bolts and try to move the bracket slightly? Which way does it need to go?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 06-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Dodge van123
Default 2002 Ram Van 1500

I'm trying to locate the crank shaft censor, can anyone give me some help. pictures help.

Quick Reply: crankshaft position sensor location