3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

coolant leak---water pump? 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:44 PM
waynofish
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak---water pump? 4.7

Driving to the marina today my check gauges alarm went off. Noticed my temperature climbing. Parked at the marina and noticed steam. Opened my hood and saw the overflow canister was empty and everything under the hood was wet. I let it cool off and then filled up the radiator (it was near empty as well) and the overflow with water.
I then started it up and noticed a good drip from behind the harmonic balencer, which turned into a steady run. The water pump is above the balencer so I was thinking it had went and of course the water was following the path to the lowest point. Oh well figgured I need a water pump. Went home with no issues. Was going to go get a pump but decided one last check. Temperature didn't climb on my way home. Radiator and overflow are still full and I have no dripping. Hmmm. As of now the truck has no issues and I haven't done anything.
On vehicles in the past I remember when the water pump went----it went. Am I missing any other water lines higer in the engine that perhaps a blockage might have caused to leak? Are the 4.7 water pumps temperamental? Would rather know for sure before spending the time and money on replacing the pump only for it to be something else if anything at all.
Any ideas?

Old 11-23-2011, 02:17 PM
waynofish
Rookie
Unhappy

Started it up and had the drip come back--though not as bad as the first time. Went and got a new water pump so now I get to have the joy of installing it. I wonder how long my list of problems before 50,000 miles is going to end up. I have 6,000 more to go and it is growing----and I haven't even gotten into the main regular ram problems such as c-clip and tranny yet. Have my fingers crossed but it's not looking good.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM
signalinspector
Default coolant leak

I too am having a coolant problem first was my 2007 4.7 @ 31000 miles now my 2008 4.7 with 21500 what is the deal with Dodge and the water pumps This is getting old

Old 12-29-2011, 03:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I still have my original in my '04 Hemi AND my '02 Grand Cherokee (4.7 HO), haven't noticed the water pumps being a very common issue with Dodge. Now I had a Nissan about a dozen years ago (company car) that I put over 180,000 miles on, actually sold it with 320k on the clock when I sold the business and the thing ate water pumps every 30k miles like clockwork.

Now I do know that the o-ring seal around the thermostat on the 4.7s is a known issue and will leak when that fails. Tell-tale sign of the O-ring is it'll leak on cooler nights when the engine is off and the ring will usually swell and seal up when the engine comes up to temp...

Old 12-29-2011, 04:05 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I just replaced my waterpump for the first time at 138k. I noticed coolant dripping from the weep hole and replaced the pump before the leak got worse. If you do the repair yourself, make sure that you number the bolts as you take them out. It will save you lots of time during the install.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 PM
waynofish
Rookie

When I removed mine it was deffinatly toast. The fan had a lot of play and it was rough feeling when turning. That wasn't noticable while intalled, I guess because the belt was keeping tension on it. At least it was an easy job. I like the newer "o" ring type seal, sure beats getting messy like in the old days and saves some time.
I just seemed surprised that it went up so quick!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:14 PM
PRADO
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just replace it cause if u over heat that engine those heads like to warp. things just go out. might as well do the tstat while ur there. member to bleed it too!!

Quick Reply: coolant leak---water pump? 4.7