3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

58-68 mph vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:14 AM
PRF66
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 58-68 mph vibration

Bear with me, maybe I answer my own question here. I bought 3 new Wrangler HPs with the raised white lettering. Why three? I figured I had 44k on the old ones and one tire was scupping-right front, so the nicest with about 10k of tread left becomes the spare. This way I put the brand new spare on the road with the three new tires. I get a vibration. 58-68 mph. Not above and not below, some macadam roads worse than others, but not above and not below 58-68 mph. I swear it's the tires. Dealer balances the tires 2 times, 3 times. Then he says you got a brake pedal vibration, I say yeah, but now before this, I put new rotors on the car. Same problem. Now, I been living with it for 14k miles, truck has 58k now. Left front tire scupping outside, So, I rotate the tires. Now, it is vibrating worse. Same speed 58-68mph. What? Could it be that fourth tire? The OEM blackwall Wrangler HP brand new spare that I put on? I don't know does the raised white walls on the new HPs mean a different tire structure or something? . Took it to get alignment yesterday Goodyear said minor toe in, hardly out. What do you think? Should I get a fourth tire then I got three with 14k on them. This vibration is through the floor mostly seems passenger right front to my foot on gas pedal feeling. Man it's annoying and I don't need to hear about this is not a luxoboat as I got a 3 Silverados at work that are smooth on any highway. Thanks in advance. Regards, MIKE

Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 AM
contractors Hemi
Rookie

I was reading this thinking that it must be the tires untill you mentioned feeling it through the floor, have you considered wheel bearings as mine did the same thing at a particular speed and felt through the floor and pedal. Turns out they both had failed and were totally dry, the inner race was totally gone. Steel on steel.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Fav40
Professional

My 2007 Ram 1500 w/ 20's has a brand new spare....unused.

I too thought about getting 3 new HP's and using the spare. I dropped the spare and it's got dents in the sidewall that scare me. Plus I don't like the HP's in cold, rain or snow, something I deal with here in upstate NY.

So maybe that you have some sidewall deforming like my spare does ? My spare is new, but the tire is from 2006/2007 and been squeezed against the frame rails for all this time. Good for a spare, bad for a full time tire at this point, imo.

Quick Reply: 58-68 mph vibration