Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 dodge ram 2500 hemi oil pressure problems!

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 AM
toohipnsocal toohipnsocal is offline
Registered User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Default

My 2006 ram 2500 big horn edition 4x4 would have the oil pressure gage drop when the check gages light came on and bell (ding ding) would sound, only when I jumped on the pedal to pass on the freeway ( like from 60mph to 70mph. I would have to pull over stop and shut off the truck to get the gage light to go off. I always would check the oil to make sure, and it was ok. Then one day the check gages came on and then the oil pressure showed 0 and the engine made a funny noise other than the ticking sound. I towed the truck back to my place and checked the oil and it was fine. I pulled the plug on the pan and nothing came out. I stuck a screw driver into the hole and out came the oil. When I dropped the oil pan, I found lots of little and big pieces of metal. Threw a rod. Pieces of rod pistons and ??. Get the check gages checked out Asap. A friend of mine sells Snap on Diagnois computer code analyzer and it said I had mechanical engine failure.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-02-2012, 07:15 PM
NEHOG's Avatar
NEHOG NEHOG is offline
Registered User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2004 Ram 2500
Location: South West NH
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
agreed. oil sending unit right above the oil filter. go to your local auto parts store and pick one up
Question (yea, I'm having the same problem...) Rock Auto shows three different senders (big price spread, too!) so does anyone know the right one (2004 w/Hemi...) I'm getting tired of the 'double start' trick.
__________________
My name is Peter, and I'm never going to grow up. http://www.peterhipson.com 2004 Dodge 2500 HEMI - Yea, it is red!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 PM
wingnutks wingnutks is offline
Professional
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 QCSB Hemi
Posts: 192
Default

I was having the same problem... oil pick up was clogged with sludge. When you romp on it the pump will out flow the pick up and oil pressure drops. Drop the pan and check it out asap.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
wingnutks wingnutks is offline
Professional
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 QCSB Hemi
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toohipnsocal View Post
My 2006 ram 2500 big horn edition 4x4 would have the oil pressure gage drop when the check gages light came on and bell (ding ding) would sound, only when I jumped on the pedal to pass on the freeway ( like from 60mph to 70mph. I would have to pull over stop and shut off the truck to get the gage light to go off. I always would check the oil to make sure, and it was ok. Then one day the check gages came on and then the oil pressure showed 0 and the engine made a funny noise other than the ticking sound. I towed the truck back to my place and checked the oil and it was fine. I pulled the plug on the pan and nothing came out. I stuck a screw driver into the hole and out came the oil. When I dropped the oil pan, I found lots of little and big pieces of metal. Threw a rod. Pieces of rod pistons and ??. Get the check gages checked out Asap. A friend of mine sells Snap on Diagnois computer code analyzer and it said I had mechanical engine failure.
Wow, what were your oil change intervals like?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 AM
NEHOG's Avatar
NEHOG NEHOG is offline
Registered User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2004 Ram 2500
Location: South West NH
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
I was having the same problem... oil pick up was clogged with sludge. When you romp on it the pump will out flow the pick up and oil pressure drops. Drop the pan and check it out asap.
I don't think it is a real oil pressure problem--hard acceleration doesn't cause any problems... Only starting, you start, then key off, restart and then the gauge reads. It does have oil pressure--engine makes no abnormal noises for example when the gauge reads zero. I'm going with a new sensor (kinda want to get the right one the first time...) since that is cheap and appears easy to do. Another reason why I don't think this is impeded oil flow is that the truck has done this since new... It is just that when new it happened once every few months (so that the dealer could/would do nothing since they could not reproduce it...) Then it was fine for about three years, and in the last year it has gotten much worse. Truck has 70K miles on it, a lot of local driving and a few trips, and oil changes every 6K miles. (I own a nice (personal, not commercial) shop so working on these is not hard...) +++ Update +++ Picked up the sender, and tossed it in. All considered not too bad, wish I had the correct wrench/socket but a 27 MM open end worked almost as well. And now, when I start up I have oil pressure! No more double starts for me.
__________________
My name is Peter, and I'm never going to grow up. http://www.peterhipson.com 2004 Dodge 2500 HEMI - Yea, it is red!

Last edited by NEHOG; 11-03-2012 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Update with repair results...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-04-2012, 05:28 PM
gunbunny2bg4u gunbunny2bg4u is offline
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 84
Default

beware that the oil pump relief valve can stick open at times and cause a low oil pressure. my pt cruser did that too like your stating and had to replace the oil pump.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM
NEHOG's Avatar
NEHOG NEHOG is offline
Registered User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2004 Ram 2500
Location: South West NH
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunny2bg4u View Post
beware that the oil pump relief valve can stick open at times and cause a low oil pressure. my pt cruser did that too like your stating and had to replace the oil pump.
Noted... I think mine is OK, and the new OPS is working just great. No more double starts for me now. But I suspect by next year I'll be dropping the pan anyway, as it is rather rusty and I think it will have to be replaced soon.
__________________
My name is Peter, and I'm never going to grow up. http://www.peterhipson.com 2004 Dodge 2500 HEMI - Yea, it is red!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2