3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 dodge ram 2500 hemi oil pressure problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 AM
toohipnsocal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2006 ram 2500 big horn edition 4x4 would have the oil pressure gage drop when the check gages light came on and bell (ding ding) would sound, only when I jumped on the pedal to pass on the freeway ( like from 60mph to 70mph. I would have to pull over stop and shut off the truck to get the gage light to go off. I always would check the oil to make sure, and it was ok. Then one day the check gages came on and then the oil pressure showed 0 and the engine made a funny noise other than the ticking sound. I towed the truck back to my place and checked the oil and it was fine. I pulled the plug on the pan and nothing came out. I stuck a screw driver into the hole and out came the oil. When I dropped the oil pan, I found lots of little and big pieces of metal. Threw a rod. Pieces of rod pistons and ??. Get the check gages checked out Asap. A friend of mine sells Snap on Diagnois computer code analyzer and it said I had mechanical engine failure.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:15 PM
NEHOG

Originally Posted by weedahoe
agreed. oil sending unit right above the oil filter. go to your local auto parts store and pick one up
Question (yea, I'm having the same problem...) Rock Auto shows three different senders (big price spread, too!) so does anyone know the right one (2004 w/Hemi...) I'm getting tired of the 'double start' trick.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 PM
wingnutks
Professional

I was having the same problem... oil pick up was clogged with sludge. When you romp on it the pump will out flow the pick up and oil pressure drops. Drop the pan and check it out asap.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by toohipnsocal
My 2006 ram 2500 big horn edition 4x4 would have the oil pressure gage drop when the check gages light came on and bell (ding ding) would sound, only when I jumped on the pedal to pass on the freeway ( like from 60mph to 70mph. I would have to pull over stop and shut off the truck to get the gage light to go off. I always would check the oil to make sure, and it was ok. Then one day the check gages came on and then the oil pressure showed 0 and the engine made a funny noise other than the ticking sound. I towed the truck back to my place and checked the oil and it was fine. I pulled the plug on the pan and nothing came out. I stuck a screw driver into the hole and out came the oil. When I dropped the oil pan, I found lots of little and big pieces of metal. Threw a rod. Pieces of rod pistons and ??. Get the check gages checked out Asap. A friend of mine sells Snap on Diagnois computer code analyzer and it said I had mechanical engine failure.
Wow, what were your oil change intervals like?

Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 AM
NEHOG

Originally Posted by wingnutks
I was having the same problem... oil pick up was clogged with sludge. When you romp on it the pump will out flow the pick up and oil pressure drops. Drop the pan and check it out asap.
I don't think it is a real oil pressure problem--hard acceleration doesn't cause any problems... Only starting, you start, then key off, restart and then the gauge reads. It does have oil pressure--engine makes no abnormal noises for example when the gauge reads zero. I'm going with a new sensor (kinda want to get the right one the first time...) since that is cheap and appears easy to do. Another reason why I don't think this is impeded oil flow is that the truck has done this since new... It is just that when new it happened once every few months (so that the dealer could/would do nothing since they could not reproduce it...) Then it was fine for about three years, and in the last year it has gotten much worse. Truck has 70K miles on it, a lot of local driving and a few trips, and oil changes every 6K miles. (I own a nice (personal, not commercial) shop so working on these is not hard...) +++ Update +++ Picked up the sender, and tossed it in. All considered not too bad, wish I had the correct wrench/socket but a 27 MM open end worked almost as well. And now, when I start up I have oil pressure! No more double starts for me.

Last edited by NEHOG; 11-03-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Update with repair results...
Old 11-04-2012, 05:28 PM
gunbunny2bg4u
Rookie

beware that the oil pump relief valve can stick open at times and cause a low oil pressure. my pt cruser did that too like your stating and had to replace the oil pump.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM
NEHOG

Originally Posted by gunbunny2bg4u
beware that the oil pump relief valve can stick open at times and cause a low oil pressure. my pt cruser did that too like your stating and had to replace the oil pump.
Noted... I think mine is OK, and the new OPS is working just great. No more double starts for me now. But I suspect by next year I'll be dropping the pan anyway, as it is rather rusty and I think it will have to be replaced soon.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 AM
Confusing
Default Confused

Hello I have a 2004 dodge truck 2500 series with hemi.
problem- low oil pressure.. Changed out the oil pressure sending unit and drove it for about 20 mins then ding ding check gauges came on and oil dial on instrument went down to zero. Unplugged the unit and got the oil dial to go to half. Plugged a wire into the connection from the truck and grounded to the truck and oil dial went to zero.
What in who's name is going on..i can't drive the truck like this and need to fix it..getting useless ideas of what is going on please help

Quick Reply: 2004 dodge ram 2500 hemi oil pressure problems!