3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P1391 code, Will not start

Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM
reese2012
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post P1391 code, Will not start

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7 that was blew up. I replaced it with a 2002 Dodge Durango 4.7. After the swap i turned it over it acted almost as though it was out of time, but tries to crank and throws a P1391 Code. After my brain was fried i decided to load it up and take it to the local dodge dealership where the machanics spent 6 1/2 hours trying to get this issue solved but was unsuccessfull. at Dodge they checked the timing, it is in time, replaced all the sensors, checked the PCM. checked the wires leading from the sensors to the PCM, all which checked out. while they had it on the computer they checked the SYNC it is in sync, they called another dealership and they sent a tech down and he completed a compression check, good, fuel rail pressure check, good, checked the cam and crank part numbers from the VIN on the Durango and compared to the part numbers from the VIN on the Ram, everything is the same part number.

Can anyone offer a solution to this issue or has anyone ever had this issue before?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

You say they replaced all sensors. Are you sure? Specifically, the cam timing sensor?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 AM
reese2012

Yes all sensors have been replaced with OEM sensors, I went with OEM sensors due to the fact that some Dodge vehicles do not like aftermarket sensors. The sensors were purchased from the Dodge dealership I took the truck to. They thought it may be faulty sensors so they put a 2nd set of new sensors in it and still shows the same thing.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when you swapped engines, did you leave the trans in place? it's super easy to pinch the ckps wires when doing so.. it's almost as easy when you're stabbing the trans on a mounted engine..

Old 12-21-2011, 10:52 PM
reese2012
Thumbs up

Yes the Transmission was left in place. I figured out the Problem though. The tone wheel on the Crank is MUCH different. As well as the on the Cam. So if you are thinking about making this type swap you may as well plan on Changing the Cam gears as well as the Crank. Which has proved to only be about a 4 hour job once the motor has been taken out. The Durango motor is a 32 Tooth motor where as the Ram motor is a 16 Tooth motor. I hope this will keep anyone else from going through the same headaches I have endured through out this engine swap.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 PM
roadrunner0

Had a 2.4 L engine that broke a timing belt recently and after we replaced it all was well again, in fact it was running better then before.. About 1 week later it started acting up and would not stay running, threw a P1391.. We did all the usual things like checked the wiring harness for open/short and swapped out the cam and crank sensors with no joy.. Voltage for the sensors was 8vdc+ coming out of the transmission control computer and all grounds were checked and cleaned.. We even took the whole timing belt assy. apart and verified timing including verifying TDC in piston 1 and visually verified the cams to be in proper place.. SOLUTION was a faulty diode pack on the alternator causing a pulse in the field line that runs to the computer thru the auto shutdown relay.. The computer was totally confused with all the extra pulses in the harness from the leaky diodes.. Quick way to test this is to make sure the battery has a good charge and unplug the 2 or 3 wire harness from the alternator then start the engine.. If it runs fine shut it off and reconnect the plug to the alternator and see if the problem returns.. Took me 3 days to figure this out, on an engine scope you will see a hashed up trace peak from the sensors.. Had a starter solenoid go high resistance and every time you turned the key to start it would blow the 10 amp control fuse.. 1.5 days outside in the cold March weather to figure that out but that is another story..

Old 12-09-2013, 03:47 PM
dghemsoth01
Default 2002 dodge ram slt 4.7

I have a 02 ram slt 4x4 with a rebuilt 4.7. ever since it get cold out I go and try to start it it starts and then dies like not enough fuel I also get a code p1391 I replaced the cam and crank sensor any ideas on what this could be. im open to any ideas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P1391 code, Will not start