3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Error codes p2118 and p2110 what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:56 PM
2005 Alaska Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error codes p2118 and p2110 what to do?

Let me preface this post with the fact that this is my first time on this forum and I am not much of a mechanic. I can crank a wrench and turn a screw but fixing vehicles is not my specialty. That said, I can follow directions. My 2005 Ram Hemi just went out of warranty, and of course now stuff is starting to go wrong. Recently, it was -30 degrees F and I started the truck to warm up before going to work. It started fine and after about 15 minutes of warming up, I went to leave and noticed it was running rough. I also noticed the ETC light flashing. Long story short, I attempted to go to work anyway and had no throttle response. All it would do was idle so I went ahead and idled the truck back to its designated spot and got a ride to work.

I was able to start it later and drive although it did give the same ETC light once and I was able to just turn the truck off and back on and drive away.

There is obviously a problem that I would like to fix before it strands me. Thanks to this forum and Pyro's error code list, I was able to use the key trick and got error codes p2118- Throttle Actuator Ctrl Motor Current Range/perf and p2110- Throttle Actuator Ctrl Sys-Forced Limited Power.

These are obviously related to the throttle. Do I need to replace/clean the Throttle Body or do I need to just replace/clean one of the sensors? My research on this forum makes those projects look pretty doable even for me.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Scott

Old 01-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

This only happens to me on a cold start with my truck have superchips for my truck and i erase them with that and it goes away until a day i forget to plug my truck in and start it on a cold day

Old 01-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

You can take it to a place like part source or auto zone to get them to erase the dtc's and the problem should go away

Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
PRADO
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Theres actually a tsb for that concern. It involves replacing the throttle body assembly and flashing the pcm with new software. Usually fixes the problem.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PRADO
Theres actually a tsb for that concern. It involves replacing the throttle body assembly and flashing the pcm with new software. Usually fixes the problem.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2005/14-002-05.htm

Hope hat helps.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Denniss66
You can take it to a place like part source or auto zone to get them to erase the dtc's and the problem should go away
Clearing the error message does not fix the problem.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 PM
2005 Alaska Ram
Default Thank you

Thank you everyone for your prompt replies. Owensue, I really appreciate the link. I actually already have the new throttle body on hand as I had read a post somewhere that had the exact same symptoms as me and used that as the fix successfully. I procrastinated a little when it was still -20 as I wasn't too excited about working on the truck in those temps. Now that it is up to 10 above it sounds a bit more reasonable. Of course I am sort of up a crick regarding reimbursement since my truck is out of its extended warranty.

Scott

Quick Reply: Error codes p2118 and p2110 what to do?