3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM
BigBlueGa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise

Have many of you have wind noise on the drivers side door? It is an '06 Mega Cab, it does not leak when it rains, but the amount of air noise around the door is unreal. Get the truck caught in the right cross wind and you'll think the door is coming off. Any suggestions on whats going on or how to fix it?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
bwheelersc
Professional

I had the same thing on my 07 qc. I adjusted the door myself. The guys on here call the door a shark fin and over time the top of the door gets fatigued and does not seal well. You can either adjust the hinges so the top of the door closes tighter or you can try to bend the top of the door in just a little. Roll down the window, and with the door propped slightly open, I always put a 2x4 where the window opening meets the rest of the door and push on the top of the door. Also a body shop could do this for you. It will help a bunch. Good Luck

Old 03-06-2012, 07:23 PM
boosted-fc3s
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always heard there were revised door seals, but no one at the dealer has heard of them, and I've not seen any aftermarket seals at all.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 AM
groovy
Amateur

I was told some of the noise comes from the mirrors.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 PM
IronMonkey

The wind noise on my 06 Quad Cab was horrible on the driver side. Here's the solution:

Home Depot sells clear plastic tubing, 3/8" or 7/16" your choice. I went with 7/16". 10ft is like $5. Better to use surgical hose but pricey and tough to source.

Slide it up thru the seal, there's a junction down by the lower hinge. Very difficult to get it all the way up & around, I made a two small slits to slide in sections of the seal as it is difficult to shuffle the tube thru all the way around the bends.

Notes: I went 7/16" but the door now bows out a bit, however I went to a car wash and sprayed the crap out of it with the high pressure gun and no leaks. The Ford forum says 3/8" but who knows their config.

Last edited by IronMonkey; 04-19-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Jacob Boyd Bauer

Iron, I've been having a similar problem in my '05 quad cab. The drivers door flutters starting around 45 Mph. If I hold the door closed pretty tight, most of the wind noise on my side of the truck goes away. I think the door is bent a little, I'm thinking of adjusting where the door sits with the hinges (taking care to mark it's original position, incase I make things worse), but I know that won't fix the problem completely because I'm pretty sure the top of the door is bent. Was your solution worth the time and effort?

Old 10-31-2014, 04:36 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

my door flutters in the wind as well at highway speed. The hood moves a bit too, it's annoying.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:40 AM
07hemi1500

Mine was bad with wind also. I tried getting the top to seal better by pulling on the top of the door the way stated here no luck. I than noticed the body lines not quite lining up on the doors to the body by about 1/16 to an 1/8th" The drivers being the worst. The hinges and striker were all out of wack. Adjusted them to follow the lines on the body, took awhile so be patient, and no more wind noise!!! I was surprised how much they had to be adjusted. I do have tow mirrors & window vents and what a difference. The top of the doors sits flush on the cab and the lines look better.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise