3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dash Brake light and ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Techster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Brake light and ABS Light

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT with the Cummins diesel, I am experiencing something that appears to be a loose connection. The Brake light and ABS light comes on simultaneously when I hit a bump or rough patch in the road or when I turn suddenly as avoiding something. I believe it to be a loose connection or maybe even low level of fluid in the differential as one poster stated. Any ideas? I am going to go over all the wiring today and see if I find anything out of the ordinary, I have already checked and topped off the brake fluid reservoir and this didn't solve the problem. Finally, the brakes are fine and I haven't experienced any problems with them not working properly.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Quite likely a bad connection somewhere, or, possibly, a worn bearing.... (most likely in front...)

Old 07-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Techster

I will check that out. You do not think it could be an ABS sensor on the front wheels? Funny you are a blue dragon. My high school mascot was a dragon and our colors were blue and white.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Techster
I will check that out. You do not think it could be an ABS sensor on the front wheels? Funny you are a blue dragon. My high school mascot was a dragon and our colors were blue and white.
If one of the bearings was getting sloppy, it *might* give an intermittent signal, which would annoy the ABS system.

I got my avatar from a gaming site I am Admin on. I just use it pretty much everywhere.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:18 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the sensor in the wheel/hub. Same problem for me, the snesor wire was completely broken in half though when the lights decided to stay on

Old 07-16-2020, 06:42 PM
ProStreetDriver
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scan the codes and that'll give you an area which circuit is acting up. Could be a bad connection, broken wire, or something else.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:38 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProStreetDriver
Scan the codes and that'll give you an area which circuit is acting up. Could be a bad connection, broken wire, or something else.

Oh, to add to this, if you have a scanner that can read SRS codes, or ABS codes (can't remember which now honestly,....gonna say ABS though) it'll tell you exactly.

My Innova 3100j told me "LF sensor"

Old 07-25-2020, 11:48 AM
Techster

Thanks for all the input. The lower control arms were wore out and so I decided to replace all the front end parts including the wheel bearings with the sensors. So far everything is back to normal no brake lights. Detroit Axle makes a nice kit with all the front end parts except the lower control arms. I used Mevothech for the lower control arms and Timken wheel bearings. Read too many bad reports on Moog lately so I decided against them.

Also, the truck rides a little rough being a one ton. Does anyone think some Bilstein shocks would help the ride? Finally, the truck is approaching 300.000 miles after seeing the front end when would be a good time to replace the wheel bearings in the rear end and drive line?

Old 07-26-2020, 06:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's a one ton, so yeah, it IS going to ride rough, especially when not loaded. I discovered that might 3/4 ton ride pretty nice with a thousand pounds of scrap metal in the bed. But, that's not something I would want to do every day.

If the bearings in the rear axle aren't causing any problems, just leave 'em.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:00 AM
Techster

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's a one ton, so yeah, it IS going to ride rough, especially when not loaded. I discovered that might 3/4 ton ride pretty nice with a thousand pounds of scrap metal in the bed. But, that's not something I would want to do every day.

If the bearings in the rear axle aren't causing any problems, just leave 'em.
One of the wheel bearings was rough so I'm pretty sure you nailed it on the brake lights staying on. As far as the ride I haven't replaced the shocks in over five years and that could have something to do with it also. I am going to use the Bilstein shocks this time. The same ones that motor homes use and that should at least improve it somewhat. Thanks again for your insight.

Quick Reply: Dash Brake light and ABS Light