3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yep another rear diff. problem, but please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 PM
webbie626
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep another rear diff. problem, but please help

yeah I know there are like a million post on here about the rear diff problems everyone is haveing, but I need some help. My truck is a 2005 dodge ram 1500 has 65000 miles with the bomb shell 9.25 lsd rear end. My problem started with tires sqeeling when making corners from a stop, but now it is making a clicking sound almost like a chatter with a vibration, but not all the time mostly if i have to get on it pretty hard seems to be worse if im turning. if i drive straight it is fine but noise is getting worse also sometimes if I back out and put it in drive I get a vibrating chatter. I changed the fluid and did not see any metal shaving or a clip, but it had been changed before I did it. I bought the truck used from a chevellet dealer with a warranty but they looked at it and said they though i needed new tires and that they put the truck on the lift with it in gear and no noise was comming from the rear end. So what do I do now?

Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

Have your tires checked. They could be out of balance. Could be tie rods or u joint as well. Les schwab does inspections for free. Jack up the front and try to wiggle the wheel left and right. If there's play then it's tie rods, up and down play is ball joints. Crawl under the truck and tug on all of the steering components to see if there is major play. Look for torn boots and bushings too. That can start to narrow it down.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

a ratcheting sound on turns with a LSD is an indicator that there is not enough friction modifier in the differential - did you add a bottle when you changed the fluid???

Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 AM
abarmby
Champion

What hammer said.
You need a 4 oz bottle of the mopar friction modifier at least in the diff.
Confirm you either have it or not.
If unsure, add a little at a time say 2 oz until your chatter and grabbing around corners goes.
Al.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 AM
abarmby
Champion

Oh yeah..... When adding the modifier, drive 4 or 5 figure of eight turns to mix it up with your LSD fluid. Then make tight turns and see if the problem reduces or goes away.
Al.

Quick Reply: Yep another rear diff. problem, but please help