3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

thoughts on this issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thoughts on this issue.

Ok, 2500 Ram is all togethier, new ball joints, upper and lower, booth sides, new right front stearing link ( I still call it a tie rod ) new axle bearing, 2 new front ujoints.

Here is my issue, My stearing ( front wheels ) feel like thier turning back on me after I exit a turn 50+km, wheel is stright, no issues with tracking, left or right turns makes no differance.

No vibrations, no creaking or groaning over bumps, but Im finding I have to stear more than with the old stearing componants, Thiers no play in the stearing in quick right to left or left to right turns over and over again are not a issue, only in the last turn, best way to descibe it is the feeling of mixing up drectional tires, or turning a wallmart shopping cart.

Im not sure if the front tires got crossed over or if the stearing stabilzer ( old dodge unit ) should have been replaced.

I never ever had issues with death wobble or any stearing issues prior to the drag link falling off backing up, Thease new stearing componants are a mega improvemnt in build quality over stock, and I have hit manny pot hole to create the death wobble issue, none are pressent.

Stearing dosentt have the same feel that the old and worn had, old stearing offerd more percison.

Im not liking this new feeling, its like my truck is some elses.

Im gonig to talk with my mecanic, thiers nothing un safe here, stearing, front suspension are solid ..

Last edited by cyclone429; 04-15-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You need an alignment after replacing the balljoints!
I'd go ahead and replace your outer tierod ends and then have it aligned since everything else is new, those are the only parts old. They are fairly cheap and easy enough to do as well.

Not all ball jointshave the same build/body to them. Some are taller or shorter than others after installed. This could be your steering issue.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 AM
MoparPaul
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your tires worn in on the the old front end and are tracking based on that.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aligment was done, tires are new, ( my winter nittos ) outer tie rods were also changed.

I did not know replacement ball joints may be taller than oem, I have the old ball joints, but I did not see the size of the new ones.

Replacments are greaseable.

Im going to measure the width of the front tires outside right to outside left and the same with the rear to check tracking.

One saving grace is the new system has lock nuts and cotter pins, were as the oem junk did not.

Quick Reply: thoughts on this issue.