3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Could use some help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
mcredimus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter replacement and oil port cleaning.

I have a 06 ram with a misfire that comes and goes. After checking it out myself I took the truck to the dealer who told me the MDS system was malfunctioning and I needed a 2100 dollar lifter replacement job. I used to work on cars for a living, and am not afraid to pull the heads and do a lifter job on this truck. I do need a little advice though from someone who has done a lifter replacement job on the engine as I have never seen the inside of the 5.7 with MDS. The tech also mentioned that it will also need the oil passages cleaned. I do not know which oil passages he is specifically talking about or which passage will specifically make # 6 misfire. I also wonder if it is possible to do lifters on this one cylinder, and clean the specific oil passage to clear up this misfire.

Overall what is your advice in this situation. Is it a traditional head job or is it a lot different from other engines? Is it something I should pay the dealer to do? Also would swapping the stock springs for stronger ones possibly fix the problem?

I am also havig trouble finding a diagram that would show the oil passages.

Last edited by mcredimus; 04-17-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Could use some help.