3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear end Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:10 PM
HemiRam1566
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end Q's

so i got a 07 ram sbrc hemi 4x4 and the rear end has the factory lsd, and the pinion seal is leaking, i would like to change it tomorrow just wanted to kno if i should replace the seal with a factory chrysler seal or is there a better seal elce where? also can i just mark the pinion nut and retighten untill the marks line up? will that get me back to proper spec?

also having the factory lsd i know about the clip failure, is it worth putting new clips in? i dont got the cash for a aftermarket lsd so figured installing new "c" clips wouldn't be a bad idea until i purchase a new lsd set up

thanks
connor.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think DirtyDog and Al might be able to answer this better for you. You can download the Service Manual for your truck from the links in my sig but its going to be a bit more complex that just taking it out, replacing the seal and putting it back together.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:59 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not on my personal PC atm where my links are but I can help you out later with them. In mean time...
Napa has a double lipped seal that is better than OEM.
Mark nut to casing not washer. Count # of turns and pay attn to where the mark is when nut falls off. Retighten to # of turns and then 1hr past original mark. Use red loctite with original washer and nut.
2005.5 up has revised clutch pack retaining clips. Its not worth it to pull yours out to replace them with the same part. Pulling them out and driving will wear down the clutch fingers and casing after just 20kmi so not really reccomended. Carrier needs to be pulled for a change anyways. Do a visual with the cover off.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:48 AM
abarmby
Champion

Dogs taken care of buisness right there.
BTW...those wheels look awesome with your lights Weed!
Al.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:45 AM
HemiRam1566
Veteran

thanks allot dirtydog much appriciated! just one more question.. do i need a puller for the yoke? or should it just tap out?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 AM
nbrion1
Rookie

I used a 3 jaw puller to remove the flange/yoke.

Quick Reply: rear end Q's