3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Just replaced the infamous Recirculation Door in 30 minutes :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 04:57 PM
holly sunfrost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God bless you for this!! This may be part of my problem but my fear is there is more wrong because the passenger face and feet blower blows cold air ony (while the driverside is hot)and the defrost is only partially warm...is this the correct door or do I have 2 to fix🤔

Last edited by holly sunfrost; 10-23-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:11 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just did this, your article came in handy, though what it didn't tell me was how much of a bitch it would be to get that third bolt holding the amp up. Once that was out of the way it went fairly smoothly.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:49 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I would add to this thread and also bump it since the topic of the blend doors is common with these vehicles. My truck has been doing well, so I was wondering if I've been on borrowed time. Sure enough, as of last week, the ventilation system in my truck only discharges are from the dash vents regardless of the selection of the ****.

This thread is also a good reference for the issue --> recirc door aftermarket part

I plan to follow the steps laid out by HeaterTreater.net to verify whether multiple doors need to be replaced.

Old 10-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Cooptrac
Default Moving amp

Originally Posted by 66three83
Just did this job today. A word to those who have the Infinity sound system, this is not an easy job. Those who have the standard sound system don't have to contend with the amplifier that is mounted next to the recirc motor.
What a pain in the a... I gave up last week, and decided this morning to try again. My plan of attack was to remove the entire dash, and replace the whole recirc box. After reading many tutorials on how to remove the dash, I attempted to do so. Not so easy. I had every nut and bolt out of the thing, and still it seemed attached to the defrost vents. Couldn't get it to budge. Not to mention the passenger airbag that wasn't addressed in the write ups that I read.
Finally gave up with the entire dash removal, and decided to concentrate on getting that damn amplifier out of the way. After fighting for an hour to reach an unreachable bolt (there are three that hold it in place), and just to remove the wires took considerable effort, plus bleeding knuckles, finally got it out of the way. Barely. After 6 hours, most of which was going in the wrong direction, I finally got my recirc door installed. It was much missed and I am so glad it's working again!!! However, when I switch to floor, all the air goes to the dash vents. So I guess I have another bad door.
Did you ever figure out an easy way to get amp out of way I see two bolts on amp mounting plate

Old 10-29-2019, 10:31 PM
Hazes Coleman
Default Awesome tutorial

That was a great share,thank you..

Old 10-12-2021, 07:13 PM
HuckfromVa
Default Musky smell from air

Just removed my recirc door after reading in this forum in my 05 1500, and mine was broke exactly like all the others. Considerably more airflow now, wish I'd have known this 6 years ago!!! Now I've got a pretty musky smell blowing through. I noticed the foam was rotting and crumbling. At this point, I'm not too concerned with replacing the door. I'll see how it does as far as the temp to see if anything changes. It blew hot and cold, just not hard before I removed the door. My question is, will the smell go away in a few days or will I need to replace the door for it to stop stinking? Any experience with that in here?

Old 10-24-2021, 08:46 AM
Lori1975
Default 03 Dodge Ram 1500

03 Dodge Ram 1500 heat & air not working
I have an 03 Dodge Ram 1500. The heat & air stopped working right at the same time 2 years ago. I can no longer tolerate freezing to death. Have had some people look at it with no idea of what's wrong with it. I cannot afford a dealer as to why it's still not working. Ok so, the blower motor works. The air flow changes from face, defrost, & feet when I change it. In the summer the ac blows hot. In the winter the heat blows ice cold. They both worked great before they stopped working. Please help

Old 07-06-2022, 10:54 AM
Seekhimoutdoors

I've read alot abt the recirculation door above fan motor. Took my fan motor out and removed glove box, the recirculation door was missing already. I cut a plate to block off one side, and then removed it and blocked off the opposing fresh air side. No matter which one I blocked off my truck barely blows any air out whatsoever. Almost like it's in level 1 even when you turn it all the way up. The airs cool but not cold. Im fixing to order the blend door package and pull the dash to replace them all with the aluminum blend doors but was wondering if anyone has any idea what else is going on. Alot of noise but barely blows and is slightly cool.
whatever the issue I'd like to replace what all needs to if I'm going to tear into it.

2006 dodge ram 3500 (diesel) mega cab 6 speed..

thanks guys

Old 07-13-2022, 10:44 AM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seekhimoutdoors
I've read alot abt the recirculation door above fan motor. Took my fan motor out and removed glove box, the recirculation door was missing already. I cut a plate to block off one side, and then removed it and blocked off the opposing fresh air side. No matter which one I blocked off my truck barely blows any air out whatsoever. Almost like it's in level 1 even when you turn it all the way up. The airs cool but not cold. Im fixing to order the blend door package and pull the dash to replace them all with the aluminum blend doors but was wondering if anyone has any idea what else is going on. Alot of noise but barely blows and is slightly cool.
whatever the issue I'd like to replace what all needs to if I'm going to tear into it.

thanks guys
I'll be right there with you in a few months. My heater core went out in March on my way back from my company's Dallas branch. Currently I have to use my "AC adjustment handle" and persuade my vents to work correctly with some percussive maintenance. I figure while I'm swapping out the heater core this will be my chance to knock out those annoying bend door issues that the Megacabs have. Mine is dual zone climate so I HAVE to get to the back side to fix it completely. Yay.......

Old 07-17-2022, 05:13 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Seekhimoutdoors

thanks guys
Perhaps the foam off of the door, the missing door itself, or something else has blown upstream and is blocking the ductwork somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Just replaced the infamous Recirculation Door in 30 minutes :-)