3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

6.1 Oil pump upgrade on 5.7 hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 AM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 6.1 Oil pump upgrade on 5.7 hemi?

I'll be installing a KRC210 cam into my 5.7 hemi very soon. I have pretty much everything I need, but I read that some people install a 6.1 pump while they have it opened up?

Just wondering if the 6.1 is worthwhile or should I even bother installing a new 5.7 oil pump while I'm at it? I'm definitely installing a new timing set with 80k miles on the engine.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I dont know if there's any flow differences between the two? I know the 5.7L Oil pump is a low flow at idle...4-6psi low which is why I have a pronounced Hemi tick. Once I rev engine up to 1krpms, the oil pressure increases to about 20psi and noise goes away.
If the 6.1L pump flows slightly more then I would say yeah go for it!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 AM
chefred112
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oil pump or water pump..it's easier to change water pump during cam install than oil pump...

Old 06-01-2012, 11:18 AM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I dont know if there's any flow differences between the two? I know the 5.7L Oil pump is a low flow at idle...4-6psi low which is why I have a pronounced Hemi tick. Once I rev engine up to 1krpms, the oil pressure increases to about 20psi and noise goes away.
If the 6.1L pump flows slightly more then I would say yeah go for it!
Speculatory forum reading shows +25psi I haven't found out for sure how much better it flows or if it's really necessary with power upgrades. Some say not to bother with it and others say something like "Don't forget that you should also install a 6.1 oil pump and a 6.1 timing set. The extra oiling is a benefit and the 5.7 timing set tensioners tend to break with upgraded cams." Which brings up another question...should I use a 6.1 timing set when I change it out?

The 6.1 oil pump is mentioned as a suggested part in this list:
http://tinyurl.com/d5akcqo

I also read that they upgraded the oil pump on the newer 5.7 hemis. I would love to not spend the extra dough and add extra steps, but I also don't want to skip preventative maintenance just to be cheap and lazy

Originally Posted by chefred112
oil pump or water pump..it's easier to change water pump during cam install than oil pump...
True. Extra steps would be to remove oil pan and pickup tube, but timing cover needs to be removed either way. With 80k on the clock, just wondering if it's worth the $ and time to do it while it's taken apart.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:36 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen a few hemi aftermarket places that recommend them as an upgrade when you swap cams (to go along with the springs). Cheaper to buy a Mopar off the shelf from a parts house then say from Inertia or someone (about $50+ shipping versus $70 plus shipping).

Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Oil pump requires dropping the pan. Fitment is the same but not worth it IMO

Quick Reply: 6.1 Oil pump upgrade on 5.7 hemi?