3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Power to the Starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Thomahizo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb No Power to the Starter

I have no power to the starter when trying to start my truck... I had my wife hold the key over to the start position and i jumped power to it and it started. This is the only way it will start. ABS light, parking brake light and check engine light all stay on. When it does run by jumping the starter, the speedo doesn't work.. i also got 3 codes after jumping the starter. U1120 U1110 and U0121. I have tried disconnecting the battery and I replaced the battery as well. I also checked all the fuses. I have looked all over the internet and I haven't seen anyone with all these problems together.... If anyone has any ideas, or advice they will be appreciated.

2007//1500//5.7L//2WD

Last edited by Thomahizo; 06-06-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:39 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomahizo
I have no power to the starter when trying to start my truck... I had my wife hold the key over to the start position and i jumped power to it and it started. This is the only way it will start. ABS light, parking brake light and check engine light all stay on. When it does run by jumping the starter, the speedo doesn't work.. i also got 3 codes after jumping the starter. U1120 U1110 and U0121. I have tried disconnecting the battery and I replaced the battery as well. I also checked all the fuses. I have looked all over the internet and I haven't seen anyone with all these problems together.... If anyone has any ideas, or advice they will be appreciated.

2007//1500//5.7L//2WD
Thomahizo,

When this happens does the remote keyless entry operate?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:58 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

2007//1500//5.7L//2WD
I found 2 things that may pertain to your issue. See below.

NUMBER: 08-007-08 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: July 04, 2008

SUBJECT:
No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM), and if
equipped, the replacement of the Electric Steering Column Lock (ELV). The WCM is also
referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).
MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (DR/DH/D1/DC/DM) Ram Truck (1500/2500/3500/4500/5500)
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
2007 - 2008 (J1) Sebring (China)
2007 - 2008 (JS) Avenger/Sebring
2007 - 2008 (KA) Nitro
2008 (KK) Liberty/Cherokee
2007 - 2008 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2007 - 2008 (PM) Caliber
2006 - 2008 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before May 05, 2008 (MDH
0505XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer will experience a no engine crank AND a no engine start condition. Also, the
remote keyless entry (RKE) system will not operate. This condition may be due to an
electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module
(WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more
frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is
more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. With the condition present (i.e. the vehicle in the no crank / no start condition), connect
the StarSCAN® scan tool to the vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position, and power up the StarSCAN®.
3. If the WCM is electronically locked up, the StarSCAN® will display the WCM as being
“off bus”.
4. If the no crank / no start condition is present, and the WCM is “off bus”, then reset the
WCM by temporarily removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch),
wait for 10 seconds and then reinstall the IOD fuse.
5. With the IOD fuse reset having been performed, verify that the vehicle will now crank,
start, and run.
6. If the condition is temporarily corrected by performing the above steps, and if the part
number of the WCM is earlier than the part number of the WCM listed in the part
reference table in the Service Bulletin Parts Required Section below, then perform the
Repair Procedure.

Engine does not crank at times. No response from Can-C ECU's.;Scan report was provided. Codes were: U110E Lost Ambient Temperature Message U110C Lost Fuel Level Message U0100 Lost Communication With ECM/PCM U110A Lost Communication With SCCM - CAN-C U0126 Lost Communication With Steering Angle Sensor Module U0121 Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake Module U1113 Lost A/C Pressure Message U1403 Implausible Fuel Level Signal Received U1110 Lost Vehicle Speed Message U0141 Implausible Data Received From ECM While testing the Can-c bus voltage (Can + and Can-) at SAS pin A and C it was found that if finger pressure were applied where the wires go into the clockspring/sas the codes became active. The screws holding the clock spring down were tight but did not hold the clockspring down. The screws are too long allowing the SAS connector to make and break contact.

Install the proper length screws to attach the clockspring properly. It may be necessary to initialize the anti-lock brake module. Road test the vehicle to verify the repair.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Thomahizo

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Thomahizo,

When this happens does the remote keyless entry operate?
Yea it works fine.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Thomahizo

DodgeCares, option 1 I think is not the problem seeing that the keyless entry works. So for option 2, you think i should take off the stearing wheel and take a look at the clock spring?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed, everything goes through the ign switch first and if that fails then you can have the issue youre having. Im assuming you are absolutely sure about the fuses though right?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

DodgeCares, option 1 I think is not the problem seeing that the keyless entry works. So for option 2, you think i should take off the stearing wheel and take a look at the clock spring?
Thomahizo,

While I can post possible causes to the problem I cannot give technical advice on the repair. Hopefully another poster such as Weedahoe can better answer this question. Sorry....

Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Thomahizo

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Agreed, everything goes through the ign switch first and if that fails then you can have the issue youre having. Im assuming you are absolutely sure about the fuses though right?
Yes, I checked all the fuses with a test light. Both sides on all of them are getting power. Sometimes I think technology is bad..... So ign switch... Should I try to look for power going out of it? If so do you know witch one? I will go get a manual from the store if need be.... Many thanks to everyone with helping me...

Old 06-08-2012, 12:08 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can download those manuals for free from the links in my signature. In them there is an electrical section that will give all the pin in/out and schematics

Old 06-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Thomahizo

Sorry about the delay but I work MIDS and its kicking my but right now... So I finaly got out to the truck to mess around a bit... I found the violet/Brown wire coming out to the steering colum. IGN wire. Tested it and no power coming out of it while trying to start. So anyone else think it is just the ign switch. (fingers crossed) <--- way cheaper...

Quick Reply: No Power to the Starter