3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent lamp out warning light

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

03Whiteram-If it is coming on during braking and left turning it means it is one of the turn bulbs. I know you said you replaced them, but it could be that the contacts are worn in the socket itself. I had this happen on a old Mazda B2300. Granted it did not have the circut board but the principle remains the same (don't know if circut board replacement replaces the socket themselves though.)

Old 06-16-2012, 02:38 AM
03whiteram
Professional

Originally Posted by Bigboytoys
03Whiteram-If it is coming on during braking and left turning it means it is one of the turn bulbs. I know you said you replaced them, but it could be that the contacts are worn in the socket itself. I had this happen on a old Mazda B2300. Granted it did not have the circut board but the principle remains the same (don't know if circut board replacement replaces the socket themselves though.)

That is something I have yet to get through. I will be looking closer into the connector that locks into the circuit board. That's the only thing I haven't done yet, aside from replacing the connector on the liscense plate light, which I know has a loose wire.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
ah21283
Professional

Originally Posted by 03whiteram
I had/am still having issues with this. I replaced the circuit boards/all bulbs, headlight bulbs and such. The damn chime/lamp out light only comes on during bumpy conditions, or sometimes just because. We can go days without it, and sometimes we can't go 1 minute without it constantly chiming. Aside from the random times it may come on, most of the time it's during braking and left turn signal activation. I am lost right now.
Having this EXACT same problem, probably the most annoying thing ever

Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 PM
74hemi04ram

i had this same problem with my 2004 ram. turned out it was the third brake light. may want to give that a look.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 AM
03whiteram
Professional

Will be looking at the third brake light when I get home...that's the only thing I haven't looked at.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 PM
ccaamm1

Mine did the same thing this past week. Step on the brakes and ding, ding. Lamp out warning flickered at first then stayed on, then would go out. Turns out it was the metal contact on the passenger side brake light bulb itself. There was a little bit of corrosion on it causing the intermitent warning light and the annoying ding sound. Replaced all four signal/ tail/ brake lights as the others looked like they would be going soon too. Cheap easy fix. '04 1500 Hemi. Check the bulb contacts. The filaments may look o.k. making you scratch your head thinking you have bigger problems with the sockets and wiring, when its just something small and simple. Yet hard to spot at first.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

03Whiteram-You get your issue fixed yet? Definately look at getting the socket connectors looked at/replaced...

Old 06-26-2012, 03:19 AM
03whiteram
Professional

I should be back in the states in about 15 days.

Just a recap of what I tried in May while on R&R.

1. Replaced all brake/turn signal bulbs (4 each)
2. Replaced both circuit boards with new ones.

I have not:

1. Replaced the third brake light bulbs (don't know if this affects the left turn signal lamp out)
2. Checked/cleaned the connector to the circuit boards.
3. Fixed the shorted wire to my liscense plate lights (one flickers; don't know if it plays a role in the lamp out during braking and left turn signal)

This weekend, my wife took it up for the safety inspection and passed, eventhough the lamp out chime was dinging the whole time.

Will be digging into it when I get home. Can't wait to get out of this damned place.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:59 PM
04FloridaHemi
Professional

Glad to know I'm not the only one loosing my mind. Mine does it on long trips, with or without the trailer in tow, day or night. I've traveled 14 hours and nothing, then it will just ding for a couple hours. Almost feel like buying a couple circuit boards so I can do a roadside swap if necc, have a long trip in August. I think I'll start with cleaning all the contacts and regreasing them w/ dielectric grease.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM
M.A.D

Have an 03 Dodge Ram 1500, my lamp out keep flashing off and on. Than the chiming noise does the same when the lamp out. Start acting up and than sometimes the chime noise start before the lamp out goes in and out.

Quick Reply: Intermittent lamp out warning light