3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 AM
hitmehhh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front wheel noise

I am certain this noise sounds like it is coming from drivers front wheel. While driving I can here a squeal that sounds like rubber rubbing together. It continues when I apply the brakes.It only happens when I turn left. Front left tire looks fine.

Last edited by hitmehhh; 06-24-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Check the front wheel bearings (2WD) or hub assy (4WD) May have some play in there. Spin the tire too, see if it makes the noise or feels rough when turning.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Blueball
Rookie

Could definately be front hub. Especially if it's 2wd. Jack it up and check for play in the tire .. your wheel should spin freely and NOT slow too quickly. I've replace BOTH my front hubs TWICE. If you wait too long it will start to sound like metal cracking and snapping .. then the wheel comes off and takes your caliper with it. Then it's tow time.
If after driving for 10 minutes, you wont be able to touch the center of your rim because it's burning hot from friction.
I have 150,000+ on my truck. I would say every 60,000 you should be considering it.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 AM
hitmehhh

It is a 2wd. The problem is just starting and like I said the drivers side wheel is making a squealing sound especially when I turn the wheel to the left.I am having it looked at tomorrow. If wheel bearing is the problem I probably should have both done as the other one will likely go bad.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Blueball
Rookie

Mine went bad within a few months of each other. I couldn't find any aftermarket and had to use OEM. My garage changed the first one in under an hour. Took me a little longer to do them as I had to heat it up and I only had MAPP gas on hand. Oxy/Acet would have been alot faster.
If I recall they are about $300 each.

Good thing you're getting it taken care of right away. I didn't and my wheel nearly fell off.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:32 PM
hitmehhh

Noise is hard to duplicate today. I have been driving trying to listen for it. It either does it very little or not at all. Let my mechanic figure it out.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 PM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

Hitme I have a similar thing going on I noticed yesterday. Sounded like a bearing or drive axle crunching. But I've determined its the caliper assembly. Because in my case if trucks not moving and regardless of wheel turned or vehicle in park I hear it. Maybe just maybe need some grease on the bolts that go through to caliper, havent ripped mine apart to lube the bolts but its an idea and very easy and in expensive shot. I'll probably get to mine this weekend.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueball
Mine went bad within a few months of each other. I couldn't find any aftermarket and had to use OEM. My garage changed the first one in under an hour. Took me a little longer to do them as I had to heat it up and I only had MAPP gas on hand. Oxy/Acet would have been alot faster.
If I recall they are about $300 each.

Good thing you're getting it taken care of right away. I didn't and my wheel nearly fell off.
Ebay - $50. Ive got two of them on the truck right now

Old 06-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Blueball
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Ebay - $50. Ive got two of them on the truck right now
At the time I couldn't wait for ebay shipping .. I was stuck with brick and mortar. I actually think they were more like $250 each OEM.

btw: I'm in Camada ... ALL parts cost more here .. you guys are lucky! Shipping across the border costs more + brokerage fees + 13% tax

My next set will be ebay.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 PM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of two on 1aauto.com and i think it was like $100 plus free shipping. And if i remember they also have the timken brand on there for a bit more.

Quick Reply: front wheel noise