Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Ram Front drive shaft cv joint replacement

Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 03 Ram Front drive shaft cv joint replacement

Hey everyone I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to remove the cv joint near the transfer case on my front drive shaft? The joint needs replaced rather badly but I am having a hard time figuring out exactly how to get the bad one off. The drive shaft is off and sitting in my living room. Can anyone help?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0169.jpg (67.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 03 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT sb QC 4x4

I know this is for a Ford Taurus but, pulling out the outer CV joint from the hub is exactly the same as our Dodge and particularly look at the "pry bar method" of removing the inner drive shaft from out of the transfer case. This is the same as our Ram 1500's.
Hope this link helps?
Al.
03 1500 Hemi SLT 4x4 QC sb DTT NGK Iridiums DMH K&N TMR delete ProComps torsion tweak Tints 20's Cooper LTZ Westins Xenon arches Raider tonneau Prinz LPG VSI system EBC brakes LTZ's 3" T304 exhaust 200psi viair 480c Kong train horns leather int 6000kHID&fogs fox box 2x12" dvd 2x9" monitors
Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Captain
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 04' 4x4 1500 QC 5.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbscott19 View Post
Hey everyone I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to remove the cv joint near the transfer case on my front drive shaft? The joint needs replaced rather badly but I am having a hard time figuring out exactly how to get the bad one off. The drive shaft is off and sitting in my living room. Can anyone help?
The boot on mine has been shot for years and I haven't had an issue yet, know it's coming but don't know when lol. They sell a rebuild kit, but I'm swaying more toward getting a whole new front shaft. Search around the forum, I remember seeing a thread where a guy did one of the replacement kits and had a bunch of pictures of the process.

My future RAM driver.
2004 1500 5.7L AWD 4x4, Ebay CAI, SC tuner w/ Trans Tune, Kenwood KDC-X695, MTX Thunderform, Grounded TB, 100w Behind Grille Lights, LED underhood lighting, Power wire.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Captain
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 04' 4x4 1500 QC 5.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarmby View Post
I know this is for a Ford Taurus but, pulling out the outer CV joint from the hub is exactly the same as our Dodge and particularly look at the "pry bar method" of removing the inner drive shaft from out of the transfer case. This is the same as our Ram 1500's.
Hope this link helps?
Al.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dG1G...feature=relmfu
That's for his drive axle, I think he's inquiring about his propeller shaft.

My future RAM driver.
2004 1500 5.7L AWD 4x4, Ebay CAI, SC tuner w/ Trans Tune, Kenwood KDC-X695, MTX Thunderform, Grounded TB, 100w Behind Grille Lights, LED underhood lighting, Power wire.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 PM