3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clutch issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue...

So on my way to work this morning, I went to downshift into first gear and couldn't...tried pressing the clutch pedal again and again nothing. Did it a third time and went into first. From the light, 1st and second were ok, but third was a no-go. By the time I got to work, I went to put it in reverse and had to shut the truck off, then back on. I am thinking the clutch is toast (truck has 86360 on the clock) but later this morning I went out and started it up, and was able to shift gears a couple of times with no issues until it wouldn't shift anymore, so now I am thinking that the slave cylinder is bad or something...Checked the fluid, and it is still full, so it seems that the clutch is still good....any ideas?

Old 07-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

So...to update this...Truck is now sitting at the Dodge dealership...Time to see how much this is gonna cost..

Old 07-12-2012, 02:48 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why down shift into first? 2nd gear is all you need as most trucks have granny first, and 1st gear down typicaly have snycros.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Why down shift into first? 2nd gear is all you need as most trucks have granny first, and 1st gear down typicaly have snycros.
Sorry first gears don't have syncros.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know which tanny the OP has, but the G56 has a synchoed 1st, I don't use it as it is definitely granny---but if I have to, it nearly drops right in.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Bigboytoys
Professional

I honestly don't know what tranny it has in it...a 2004 1500 with a 5 speed manual.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:17 AM
icywhite
Rookie

i just had something happen to my nv3500 tonight was coming to a stop pushed the clutch in heard a pop then no clutch

Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

So the Dodge dealership got back to me....Throwout bearing, and slave cylinders check out, but they have to tear it apart, as the did the second gear clutch test and it is still grabbing, but there are times where the clutch will not release...

Old 07-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigboytoys
So the Dodge dealership got back to me....Throwout bearing, and slave cylinders check out, but they have to tear it apart, as the did the second gear clutch test and it is still grabbing, but there are times where the clutch will not release...
I won't be surprised to find out it ends up being the slave cylinder. The cups may be getting worn enough that they occasionally collapse (end up with no pressure.

If you do have to replace the actual mechanicals, and now that its apart you might as well, most of the cost is labor----I suggest getting in touch with South Bend clutch, they build one for you that will be much stronger than stock. Make absolutely sure they replace the pilot bearing also!!!!!
Even if you don't find the "part number" for your on their web site, they can and will build a custom clutch, that is built to what ever needs you have according to the way you use your truck.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

I guess we will see what Dodge finds out once they pull the tranny. They already ordered a heavier duty clutch they said.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue...