Just a few pictures for all the diy guys and gals.
03 5.7 with 60k
-removed wheel well liners
-used torch and basic hand tools
I was going to change exhaust bolts as a preventative, but low and behold, once I got in there, found the rear bolt on the passenger side had already broken. I had no exhaust leaks noticeable.
I did replace heat shields and used oem bolts on both manifolds.
I cut or broke the heads holding the heat shield on. Some of these small 10mm nuts were rusted so bad there was no way to get any size socket on them properly....thus the torch.
Most exhaust manifold bolts came out on their own with a socket and ratchet. The ones that didnt feel right when attempting to loosen.....I cut the bolt heads off, leaving the stud. The manifolds then slipped off the cut bolts. Once the manifolds were off, these remaining bolts I had cut screwed out with my fingers.
The broken bolt was a bit of a pain. After carefully drilling dead centre, and a couple of easy outs with some PB blaster I managed to extract the broken bolt without any thread damage to the head.
good luck everyone tackling this job!