3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 stall randomly

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:37 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id see what you could find out else where like another shop. I think you said you are using Carmax's garage? If so id go some where else they seem to be draining your budget quick by "Chasing" the problem , other shops may do the same but other opinions may help. I know you are in a rush but you do want to completlely resolve the problem and not put a band aid over it or it will get worse. Id tell them to save there time and your money and quit trying coils, maybe they will get off that subject and work some where else on the truck

And 600 for a tune up is crazy! No matter how extensive it was.
Im not sure what they are charging you for Coils but on Rockauto they are 17 bucks a piece you could have ordered all 8 and paid someone for labor and still prolly not paid as much for them to replace 4 coils

Last edited by willdikem66; 09-12-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:34 PM
NancyO

No, it's at the dodge dealer. If I had more time I would go find another mechanic, but we are leaving Sept 22nd and I just don't have the time for this truck anymore.

I originally had it at a mechanic and then at Carmax neither of which could fix this.

It really irritates me that Dodge can't figure out what is wrong with their own product. That said, I will eat my words if it turns out to be one of the coils not tested yet.

Nancy

Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

I would eat my words also on the coils. And hmmm you have had some opinions, Also just because its at Dodge dosent mean they know any more than any one else(getting you ASE to work on cars and reading a manual some one else wrote is easier than it looks) they simply read out of the service manual and go down the list until you have spent your money.

I hate to be rude if i am but if you are having this much trouble with getting no answer, id ask CARMAX what there buy back offer is....

Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 PM
NancyO

Originally Posted by willdikem66
I would eat my words also on the coils. And hmmm you have had some opinions, Also just because its at Dodge dosent mean they know any more than any one else(getting you ASE to work on cars and reading a manual some one else wrote is easier than it looks) they simply read out of the service manual and go down the list until you have spent your money.

I hate to be rude if i am but if you are having this much trouble with getting no answer, id ask CARMAX what there buy back offer is....
You're not rude and I hear you. It may still come to that. Carmax has left the door open for me. The service manager told me to call him when I'm ready to sell it back. I dunno.

Thanks for listening

Nancy

Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

I hope you get your problem resolved before the trip

Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 PM
NancyO

thanks - we've decided that if the car is not fixed by tomorrow evening we are taking it back to Carmax on Saturday (we have a truck on hold over there).

I just called the dealer and yesterday at 1:00pm they had gotten through 4 coils. It is now 4:00pm here so a day plus 3 hours later and they are still on coil number 5. Maybe that means this was the bad coil since it's taking so long to stall out. Stay tuned LOL

Last edited by NancyO; 09-13-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Let us know im curious

Old 09-14-2012, 06:08 PM
tapakah1234

I have the same problem in my truck. I already replaced the cam sensor and crank sensor, less than 40 bucks in parts, and really easy. Its still stalling at random times though, so that didnt fix the problem. I would love to know if the coil replacement fixes the issues or not.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:17 PM
NancyO

Originally Posted by tapakah1234
I have the same problem in my truck. I already replaced the cam sensor and crank sensor, less than 40 bucks in parts, and really easy. Its still stalling at random times though, so that didnt fix the problem. I would love to know if the coil replacement fixes the issues or not.
I'm sorry you're having this issue it's so frustrating. Unfortunately, I'll never know what is wrong with that truck. Picked it up at the dealer and drove next door to Carmax. We bought a Chevy Silverado 2500HD.

They were on coil #6 when I went to get the ram. They then said to me if this didn't work they'd have to consult Chrysler as to what to do. Um no thank you we are done.

I hope you can figure out your truck. I feel for you .

Nancy

Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Sorry you couldnt get it fixed.

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 stall randomly