3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Swapping My 2003 Ram Hemi

Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 PM
sixdoubleo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping My 2003 Ram Hemi

Thought I'd post some pictures of my engine swap. Pulled the engine today. I'd like to thank Sabin420 and Weedahoe for some excellent advice to prepare me for the swap. Thanks guys. It really helped, and Sabin, your mounting technique for the chain was spot on.

Essentially I followed the process in the factory service manual. I did NOT remove the hood...instead removed the grill from the hood. Used a Harbor Freight engine hoist and attached a chain per Sabin420's guidance. I used the bolts from the top fender cross member (where the hood latch mounts) as bolts to secure the chain to the rear of the heads where the ground straps attach. Then used one of the transmission crossmember nuts to hold the chain in front on the A/C stud. Worked like a charm. Here are some pics... I'll do pics of the install as well....

If you're wondering WHY I'm pulling my engine, I threw a rod. Check here. (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...k-bearing.html)

Another thread talking about how to pull the Hemi Engine...good info from Sabin420 (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...g-fixture.html)
And another thread with good info from Weedahoe on preapring for the swap (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...gine-swap.html)

(Oh and don't mind the rusty Chevy tailgqate in the later pictures......another project I need to get back to work on!)

Last edited by sixdoubleo; 09-17-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:24 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Nice job! How long did it take you?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 PM
sixdoubleo
Rookie

Umm...I didn't really keep track. I started taking down the radiator, fan, etc Thursday night. Wasn't able to work on it Friday. Then worked on it for 3-4 hours Saturday (intake, exhaust, wiring) and took off Sunday to watch football. Then Monday morning I finished it off. Bell housing, flex plate bolts, engine mounts. Finally pulled it later that evening. If I had to calculate I'd say 10 hours. But now that I've done it, I could have saved lots of time. I really took my time on a lot of things as this is the first late-model vehicle I've done an engine removal on so I was definitely a bit careful.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM
sabin420
Captain

you know you didn't have to disconnect the AC lines. the whole system will swing out and you can lay it on the ground in front of the truck and still move the engine lift in and out without hitting the system.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
sabin420
Captain

you can do the same with the power steering pump and hoses.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you gonna paint the new engine before putting it in? I want to paint mine but not bad enought to pull it out without a reason. Cool project though, keep the pics coming!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
sabin420
Captain

Oh...take the hood off...Makes it a lot easier. Don't have to worry about hitting it with the top of the lift. If you line up the bolts with the paint marks (where the bolts were attached during the painting process) the hood will line right up when you put it back on with no issues.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 PM
sabin420
Captain
Default Pics of my engine swap.

This was my motor ready to be pulled out.

Attached Thumbnails Swapping My 2003 Ram Hemi-002.jpg  

Last edited by sabin420; 09-18-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 AM
sixdoubleo
Rookie

Originally Posted by sabin420
you know you didn't have to disconnect the AC lines. the whole system will swing out and you can lay it on the ground in front of the truck and still move the engine lift in and out without hitting the system.
Yep. My A/C Compressor was bad...so I went ahead and evacuated the system. One less thing to worry about.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 AM
sixdoubleo
Rookie

Originally Posted by sabin420
Oh...take the hood off...Makes it a lot easier. Don't have to worry about hitting it with the top of the lift. If you line up the bolts with the paint marks (where the bolts were attached during the painting process) the hood will line right up when you put it back on with no issues.
By the way, the power steering and transmission lines are still connected and tied out of the way. As I said, my A/C compressor was toast so I disconnected that. As far as the hood, it had PLENTY of room so I didn't remove it. Figured it was one less thing to have to re-align.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping My 2003 Ram Hemi