3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torsion Bars How many turns-How much lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Phatboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion Bars How many turns-How much lift

Okay, I am undecided ont the torsion keys/torsion bar cranking leveling question. If you have turned your torsion bars how much lift did you get in the front and how many turns did it take?????

If you have pics of your CV joint angles that would be appreciated too!

I have heard people say anywhere from 3 to 7 turns, but I havent heard what they gained.

If you have pics of your truck with the bars cranked that would be appreciated too!

Charlie

Old 08-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Phatboy
Professional
Default RE: Torsion Bars How many turns-How much lift

Come on, I know someone has kept track of this. I am just trying to figure out how many turns people did!

Okay, to stir some crap, The 4.7 is a turd, just kidding but maybe someone will reply. LOL.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:18 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

I did a search and found some info on this board. Seems like 7 turns was a common number. This might be something that you will have to experiment with. Start with 3 then move up or down. I'm really not thinking that this is a good way to lift your truck. There must be a better way.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 AM
Phatboy
Professional

Well, it seems to be the only way other than the torsion keys. I talked to one distributor that said it gave two inches of lift with no turning, but it still had the wear problems associated with cranking. I have had a couple of IFS trucks in the past that there was no issue with slightly turning the bars to get to a desired ride height. As long as the CV axels were within a reasonable angle the wear and tear was very limited. My CVs are flat. This may be because I look like Big Daddy Don Garlits in my Pro-Street drag truck. LOL. I havent found an actual lift kit that would lift the front a couple

Old 08-31-2005, 01:26 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

ORIGINAL: HemiBuell

I did a search and found some info on this board. Seems like 7 turns was a common number. This might be something that you will have to experiment with. Start with 3 then move up or down. I'm really not thinking that this is a good way to lift your truck. There must be a better way.

A better way.
http://www.superlift.com/
http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/
http://www.skyjacker.com/

Save for a while and do it right or if your loaded just do it right now.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:10 AM
denniscasey

Mine is around 7 1/2 turns and a little over 2". Either way you go (Keys or cranks) the cv angle is going to be the same.
The photo is with 35x12.5 tires.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20005/5240083BE47F4DBAAA85DEFC401B4F1E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Phatboy
Professional

The only reason I dont want to do a full suspension lift is the warranty. With 7/70 I dont want to throw on a full kit and void most of it out. I figured leveling the front and putting on some 285-70 or 295-70 would be okay

Old 09-01-2005, 06:19 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional

I turned my torsion bars 5 times each about 15,000 miles ago,sorry no pics. but I've had no problems and it raised the front end 1.5 inches, which is still a good half inch lower than the back. Which I wanted cause as soon as you haul something it's going to level out anyway. And if you turn it 7 times the front and rear will be the same. Thus blinding everyone with your headlights at night. I say 5 turns cause it looks almost level to the eye, less binding on cv joints, you can run 35 inch tires but if you go offroad at all go with 33's cause they won't rub a bit!!! Hope I helped you decide, Good luck.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Jcarp
Amateur

I didn't keep track of how many turns, I cranked until I was satisfied with the height. The bolt was turned in about 3/4 inch and I got about 1 1/4 inch of lift. There is less then 1/2 inch of bolt left to turn if I want more. I've been worried about how it will effect ball joints but decided I wanted the truck to look better and stop worrying about it. I figure even if I have to replace something later it was worth it to have my truck level instead of nose down. Now I can start worrying about putting larger tires on.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:12 PM
05_black_beast
Professional

Out of curiosity...

Is there a 1500 model, like an off road package or something I can order leafs and keys for from Dodge to put on my truck? I really only want about an inch or 2 more all the way around.

Edit-I went 5.5 turns on the left and closer to six on the right and ended up w/ 1 & 3/4" of lift in the front.

Quick Reply: Torsion Bars How many turns-How much lift