3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low oil pressure after switch to royal purple?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably coincidence, but my oil pressure sensor started acting up after I switched to RP 5w20 after a life of Mobil1. No issues with the oil, itself, though. As mentioned by others, I think it reduced the tick a bit, and no oil loss so far that I can ascertain (not that there was any before, however).

Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that RP filter is the bombdiggity.. it's the one filter that will live as long as synthetic oil will... not that I would run ANYTHING that long in my engines..I know the combo will last longer than 7k, but I can't bring myself to run it that long... old habits..

the sludge loosening running dino oil and abruptly swapping to synthetic is real and present.. it's a good thing, and it's a bad thing.. there are actually tales around (I've never seen it, but there are tales none the less) where the abrupt swap was blamed for hard part failures.. it usually starts with hydraulic lifters (they're little trash cans for that crap), which leads to other issues.. or, it's pick up screens limiting flow and pressure..

something of some hilarity, for what it's worth, is the supposed effects of running syn for the life of an engine: cajun crust it's often called.. it's a really hard carbon like build up throughout the engine that is a result of using syn in short duration heating cycles.. it can build up and cause issues from balancing to clearance tolerances.. that is in the extreme, though..

no matter what engine you have or what oil you use, or how you use it, there will always be something to keep you busy.. that's just the nature of it.. for the record- synthetic is the ticket imHo, and so is that RP filter.. that thing is just plain bad ****..

edited to add:

Last edited by drewactual; 10-01-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
that RP filter is the bombdiggity.. it's the one filter that will live as long as synthetic oil will... not that I would run ANYTHING that long in my engines..I know the combo will last longer than 7k, but I can't bring myself to run it that long... old habits..
Yep, I like the RP filter or ANY filter made by Champion Labs - Period. RP, Champ, K&N, STP, Mopar (dealer not retail), Mobil 1 and a few other filters all start life on the Champion Labs assembly line. Only other filters I'll use that are NOT made by Champion Labs would be Wix or Purolator...

Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I say our oil pressure drop is due to the filter being used and not the oil.
5w-20 is 5w-20, don't matter if it's dino or Synthetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The filter on the otherhand can restriuct flow.
Synthetic media fiber that is crammed super tight to remove the smallest microns WILL restrict flow. I run Purolator PureOne and it does cause the Hemi tick to be louder at idle than when using a conventional paper medie filter.
This is because Dodge uses a very low pressure oil pump at idle. 5-7psi is typical.
Rev your engine up to 1krpm and all is good!

It's your filter!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you guys know the part number for the RP filter for the 5.7? I'll have to consult Google later when I have time. I cannot source it locally and I'd like to stock up on a few from somewhere online.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Matt6869
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gonna drop the pan and clean the pickup screen today. I'm starting to notice a trend, the pressure only seems to drop when the engines at operating temp. Pressure is usually good for the first 10-15 minutes of driving.. and always good when driving at night. So it doesnt even seem like a pickup issue to me, however i will be cleaning it regardless. I put in some gtx high mileage 10w30 thinking a thicker oil could be the solution, but no luck there

Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Matt6869
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I say our oil pressure drop is due to the filter being used and not the oil.
5w-20 is 5w-20, don't matter if it's dino or Synthetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The filter on the otherhand can restriuct flow.
Synthetic media fiber that is crammed super tight to remove the smallest microns WILL restrict flow. I run Purolator PureOne and it does cause the Hemi tick to be louder at idle than when using a conventional paper medie filter.
This is because Dodge uses a very low pressure oil pump at idle. 5-7psi is typical.
Rev your engine up to 1krpm and all is good!

It's your filter!
I've tried a fram tg and quaker state filters botyh with the same result. i do have a mopar filter in the shop, maybe give that a try always used them in the past

Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt6869
I've tried a fram tg and quaker state filters botyh with the same result. i do have a mopar filter in the shop, maybe give that a try always used them in the past

Mopar filter is standard paper pleated media fiber made by Purolator and Champion Labs.

QuakerState filters have been manufactured by Purolater the last 6-7yrs that I am aware of which utilize the paper medie fiber with standard pleating as well. That means, the Mopar filter will be pretty much identical in performance as the QS branded filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low oil pressure after switch to royal purple?