3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OBD monitor problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand you are trying to tell people to search before they post but isnt that the point of this website to help people? What if the OP didnt find what he/she was looking for? What if they didnt find anything that matched what problem they were having? The more one subject is talked about the more it will get covered thus making it easier for more people to find out what what "Exactly" what they are looking for.

It makes sense to put this on a OPs thread that is also a sticky(Like the exhaust questions we get 5 times every day)

Last edited by willdikem66; 10-11-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by willdikem66
I understand you are trying to tell people to search before they post but isnt that the point of this website to help people? What if the OP didnt find what he/she was looking for? What if they didnt find anything that matched what problem they were having? The more one subject is talked about the more it will get covered thus making it easier for more people to find out what what "Exactly" what they are looking for.

It makes sense to put this on a OPs thread that is also a sticky(Like the exhaust questions we get 5 times every day)
this thread was moved from another board... the general Ram Board to be exact.. jason posted his response when he moved it..

Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 AM
kenny914

Yup, I went with Bosch. That's what I get for trying to save money. I never got home in time to work on it yesterday, but today I'll buy different ones and try that. If it works I'm gonna let the dealer know how I feel about them telling me I need a PCM for $700.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 AM
kenny914

I did use Bosch. I just posted but I think it went to the wrong page. I'm new on this site and trying to get used to it. I'll replace with a different brand today. Hope that's the issue.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 AM
drewactual
Champion

it's not that Bosch is crap, it's that it's been known to cause issues with mopar scripts on the computer... I've absolutely heard the 'heating cycle' as a cause, and I've heard the latency in comms issue, too..

I run a bosch LSU4.7 wideband sensor.. they set the standard with wide bands.. literally...

our rigs prefer denso (direct OE replacement, the OE are produced by denso), or NTK by NGK, which is what I prefer, but I won't type another page telling you 'why' I prefer them, just that I do..

Best of luck, man.. If you have the time to wait, sparkplugs.com will have the better prices, and about the best means to drill down and find the precise one you need.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I don't always reccomend this route, but it sounds like you need to purchase a tuner and have a custom tune writen to disable the 02 sensors. That WILL make you pass. Guaranteed! It puts the 02 sensor status to Not Applicable and passes through DMV as a factory allowable device. It is spending money that will gurantee your pasage for a sticker, everything else your tossing money at the problem.
Done this to with a few of my sports cars that had LT headers and custom dyno tunes. I'm in NY where they hook you up to the machine as well and never once had a problem.

Also, if you have spent over $500, you get a 1year waiver through DMV. This is for NY residents, might be slightly diff in your state.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 AM
kenny914

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and help I received. I swapped out the Bosch sensor with an NTK and the monitors cleared! That was an ongoing issue I was dealing with for months and a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:28 AM
coolram

Kenny914,

Here is something you need to try and will take less than 30 minute of your time.

1. Turn the engine on early morning after it has been parked whole night long. Let it run idle for 3 to 4 minutes with head-lights and AC at maximum on. This idling for specified time is important.
2. Drive to nearest freeway. Once on the freeway, drive 8-10 mnuites at 55-60 miles per hour spped, preferably on cruise control.
3. Exit and maintain 20-30 miles per hour speed for 5 minutes.
4. Pull-over somewhere safe and turnit off for 10 minutes.
5. Drive back
I went through this 'drive-cycle for my 2007 Dodge RAM 1500 which had problem getting O2 sensor and CAT sensor to get to 'Ready'state. I even took it to the dealership and they could not help either.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:34 PM
drewactual
Champion

Sweet.. glad you got it nailed down... Now, watch your economy increase, and all around performance improve.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by drewactual
Sweet.. glad you got it nailed down... Now, watch your economy increase, and all around performance improve.
Yep the exact reason why i bought both of mine at once.

Quick Reply: OBD monitor problems!!