3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cigarette Lighter/Accessory Power Loose Socket

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 AM
gatorcowboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter/Accessory Power Loose Socket

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram and both power sockets on my dash have become really loose. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a way to quickly fix this or is replacing them the best option? I think there are some tabs inside the socket, but I didn't want to mess with them without know exactly what to do. I am installing a new stereo this week, so I would like to replace/fix these at the same time, since I will have the dash off.

Thank you in advance for any help.

---EDIT---

Just to be clear...when I say loose, I am specifically talking about my radar detector resetting every time I hit a small bump in the road.

Last edited by gatorcowboy; 11-26-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 AM
redram2007
Veteran

Mine aren't loose but when i replaced my factory player with a doudle din i got a new nav bezel that already had one so i removed my 12v socket from the old bezel so now i have 2 12v instead of a cigarette lighter. There is a little notch in the bezel and a tab on the socket if you have one available to replace it then you might as well. But as for pulling the bezel off theres nothing to it. There is 2 bolts on the bottom side (on some) and the rest just snaps in place. So if you dont have them now dont worry bc it wont take but 30 min max when you do receive the new sockets to install them

Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 AM
redram2007
Veteran

Didnt read the edit. But it sounds like you need to troubleshoot when you get the bezel off and go from there. Most salvage yards have chrystler vehicles with the same sockets. Ive seen them on 2000+ Durango's, Mini Van's, Dakotas, etc.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 PM
gatorcowboy

Thanks for the reply redram! I think when I pull it off for the radio I will see if there is a way to tighten the socket. The tabs inside probably just need to be pushed out a little or the contacts cleaned. I just wasn't sure if anyone else was experiencing the issue and if anyone had a recommendation on where to buy replacements.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Got_Mitch
Professional

Ive seen weeds tutorial thread on socket removal. So basically thats the only way to change the whole socket out?

And for putting in new ones, stores have universal 12v's, or do you recommend an OEM build for dodge only?

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter/Accessory Power Loose Socket