3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Ram Windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:10 PM
RamFireman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Ram Windshield wiper problem

So, about a month ago I bought some windshield wipers for the truck, and all seemed great. Until I was driving in the rain. When I'm going any faster than 40mph there's a spot about the size of a piece of paper that doesn't get wiped right in front of me. Drivers side, right dead center of the windshield. It's so big and in the way I can't hardly see where I'm going. I went to O'Reilly's and swapped the wiper with one of the same brand just to make sure it wasn't the wiper, and sure enough it didn't fix the problem. The guy in there said if it didn't fix it, it could be the spring in the wiper arm holding the wiper blade to the windshield going bad. Has anyone else had this problem? How would I go about fixing it?

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 PM
abarmby
Champion

Try a different brand wiper.
Sounds like a pressure problem at speeds over 40, causing the wiper to pull away from the windscreen.
Al.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 PM
RamFireman
Amateur

Well I'd thought about that too, but the passenger side works perfectly, and they're brand new wipers. :/ I don't wanna have to buy new ones lol. I guess I'll pick up a couple different ones next paycheck.... Worst case scenario, if that doesn't fix the problem, my dad has an '04 Ram that they'll fit on. Late Christmas present, I suppose. Still, has anyone else encountered this problem?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 AM
abarmby
Champion

Only with worn wipers..... But that's not the case for you.
Al.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rainx.com/product/wiper-b...in-x-latitude/

I have a similar problem with mine, and that is after a new windshield. I'm using these now (the link above) or similar. They are more expensive. but they work

Old 12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
RamFireman
Amateur

Well, I'm using these, which is basically the same as the rainx.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/Drivers...rformance/Flex

When sitting still, or on the passenger side they work phenomenal, just when I'm at speed they don't.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:45 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd return them if you can, and try the rain-x brand. I have no issues at all with those. Can't understand why you would. Have you checked your tension spring at the base of your wiper arm? Possibly you could have a broken spring which would cause your wiper to lift at minimum speed, while still working fine standing still.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is it is time to replace the wiper arms. Beyond that, I don't think there is much else you could do other than replace the windshield

Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 AM
RamFireman
Amateur

Originally Posted by 66three83
I'd return them if you can, and try the rain-x brand. I have no issues at all with those. Can't understand why you would. Have you checked your tension spring at the base of your wiper arm? Possibly you could have a broken spring which would cause your wiper to lift at minimum speed, while still working fine standing still.
That's what I said in my first post. It LOOKS okay, but a spring can be stretched and not LOOK like it. Is there a way to replace just the spring, and if so, where might I get one?

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
My guess is it is time to replace the wiper arms. Beyond that, I don't think there is much else you could do other than replace the windshield
How difficult will that be? More importantly, how expensive are they?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Toefur
Professional

Originally Posted by RamFireman
More importantly, how expensive are they?
About 40$ ea
http://www.andysautosport.com/dodge/...r_arms/dorman/

Quick Reply: 2006 Ram Windshield wiper problem