3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I know what type of rear differential I have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
ChuckvB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I know what type of rear differential I have?

I just bought a 2008 Ram 1500 4X4 for my daughter. I want to know if I can tell what type of Differential it has without opening it up. I'm thinking it may be positraction, but I'm not sure. The reason I want to know is because I took it to work today and was supprised how easy it was to break the rear end loose in a turn on a wet road or even changing lanes on the hwy on a wet road (I was maybe half throttle). Even on dry pavement it chirps in a tight turn. (Maybe the previous owner put lockers in it, this thing is scary). She's got horses so I needed something that can tow her trailer even when the go to events and part in the field which is sometimes wet and a bit muddy/slick so it has the 4X4. But I think the rearend makes it too dangerous for her.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:09 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Request a build sheet through a member on here named DodgeCares. Send them your VIN and they'll send you a build sheet and if it has "Anti Spin Diff" on there then you have an LSD (limited slip differential). If not then it's an open diff. Or like you said someone put in something after market but I doubt a locker because they're tricky to find for our rear ends.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Look at the sticker in the glove box too.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

08s don't have the sticker. At least mine doesn't. Also it doesn't tell you if you have an LSD or not I believe.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 PM
team_realtree
Professional

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
Request a build sheet through a member on here named DodgeCares. Send them your VIN and they'll send you a build sheet and if it has "Anti Spin Diff" on there then you have an LSD (limited slip differential). If not then it's an open diff. Or like you said someone put in something after market but I doubt a locker because they're tricky to find for our rear ends.
Powertrax lock-right should have a model for 08's...

Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 AM
Radam3
Amateur

Does it have a hemi? I was under the assumption that all the hemi trucks came with lsd

Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckvB
I just bought a 2008 Ram 1500 4X4 for my daughter. I want to know if I can tell what type of Differential it has without opening it up. I'm thinking it may be positraction, but I'm not sure. The reason I want to know is because I took it to work today and was supprised how easy it was to break the rear end loose in a turn on a wet road or even changing lanes on the hwy on a wet road (I was maybe half throttle). Even on dry pavement it chirps in a tight turn. (Maybe the previous owner put lockers in it, this thing is scary). She's got horses so I needed something that can tow her trailer even when the go to events and part in the field which is sometimes wet and a bit muddy/slick so it has the 4X4. But I think the rearend makes it too dangerous for her.

Any thoughts appreciated.
ChuckvB,

As 08Hemi1500 advised, if you'd like to PM me your VIN#, I can send you a buildsheet, which is a list of the options the Ram came equipped with from factory.

Originally Posted by Radam3
Does it have a hemi? I was under the assumption that all the hemi trucks came with lsd
Radam,

Not all Hemi's have a limited slip differential, that's an option.

Last edited by DodgeCACares; 02-12-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Loose dirt or sand always worked the easiest for me

Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Loose dirt or sand always worked the easiest for me
This is by far the most fun option

The build sheet, however, has all the data about your truck when it left the factory. Lots of useful information.

Quick Reply: How do I know what type of rear differential I have?