3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is my shocks worn out on my 2002 dodge ram 1500 SLT 2WD 4.7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 PM
mextexdodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my shocks worn out on my 2002 dodge ram 1500 SLT 2WD 4.7?

The shocks are factory and never been replace, has 100300 miles, the front are coil springs/shock inside and the rear are shocks as well. Here a video how it sounds like when driving above 30 mph on bumping road

Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, those shocks are toast. I replaced mine at 111,000. The OEMs were pretty well gone - I could compress and expand them by hand . I put Monroe Reflex on all four corners. Certainly improved the ride and wheel control.

Last edited by MikeHTally; 04-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:40 AM
HaOsLsE

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Yeah, those shocks are toast. I replaced mine at 111,000. The OEMs were pretty well gone - I could compress and expand them by hand . I put Monroe Reflex on all four corners. Certainly improved the ride and wheel control.
I 2nd that. I also bought the reflex (all 4 corners too), great price and seems fine. I'm the 2nd owner. They were never replaced and reflexes made quite a difference. It took weeks for the ride to get even better. At 1st it was slightly better, then weeks later it was much better. It may differ...I dont drive my truck much. Lucky if I get 3000 miles in 6 months.

I read here...that the reflexes give out fairly quick...but I dont put much mileage on my truck...and the price was so cheap. I figure paying again wont hurt.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 PM
mextexdodge
Rookie

I was thinking of getting bilstein shocks 4600 series, is that good shocks?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM
timekop
Professional

Due to year and mileage, you may want to start replacing the lower ball joints, upper control arm and maybe tie rods if haven't already.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 AM
bakerman
Professional

You've probably changed the shocks by now. But looking at your video, I can't help but think that the body mounts under the cab are probably shot too. Did you change them out?

Old 05-25-2016, 12:42 PM
mextexdodge
Rookie

Originally Posted by bakerman
You've probably changed the shocks by now. But looking at your video, I can't help but think that the body mounts under the cab are probably shot too. Did you change them out?
Right now all I need is new tires. I already replace shocks, ball joints, upper/lower control arms and new brakes pads. You know I totally did not think of body mounts. My truck came with stock 17s, in the video and now I have 20s tires. I don't know if that also gives a rough ride but I will check for that too. Thanks

Old 05-28-2016, 04:38 AM
bakerman
Professional

Originally Posted by mextexdodge
Right now all I need is new tires. I already replace shocks, ball joints, upper/lower control arms and new brakes pads. You know I totally did not think of body mounts. My truck came with stock 17s, in the video and now I have 20s tires. I don't know if that also gives a rough ride but I will check for that too. Thanks
Definitely check them too. Listening to your sound, that's the first thing I thought of because I'm dealing with that same banging sound throughout the cab in my '03 1500 4X4 on what are usually pretty normal bumps and/or holes in pavement. I climbed underneath and took a look and noticed they were pretty squashed from the previous owner(s). So I'm trying to locate the cab mount bushings themselves - something that's not so easy to find for this vehicle.

I also noticed in your video that you have a cracked dash. How's that doing?

Old 06-02-2016, 02:10 PM
mextexdodge
Rookie

Originally Posted by bakerman
Definitely check them too. Listening to your sound, that's the first thing I thought of because I'm dealing with that same banging sound throughout the cab in my '03 1500 4X4 on what are usually pretty normal bumps and/or holes in pavement. I climbed underneath and took a look and noticed they were pretty squashed from the previous owner(s). So I'm trying to locate the cab mount bushings themselves - something that's not so easy to find for this vehicle.

I also noticed in your video that you have a cracked dash. How's that doing?
Almost my whole dash is all torn up and falling apart now. Pieces are coming off little by little. Sad

Quick Reply: Is my shocks worn out on my 2002 dodge ram 1500 SLT 2WD 4.7?