3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Head Gasket Replacement - First Time - Need Support and Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:41 AM
bigbavarian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Replacement - First Time - Need Support and Guidance

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with the 4.7 with 113,000 miles. I had issues with a few items on it so I recently changed the water pump, thermostat, and the radiator. Then the head gasket blew.

I would like to replace it and need moral support and guidance as I have never done a repair so evasive.

My comfort level as a mechanic – I have never had a new car so in the past I was used to troubleshooting and changing the bolt on items in a car like the following. Brakes, starters, water pumps and radiators, etc and even rebuilt a few carbs in the day. I have a decent set of tools and know how to use them but cannot say that I have things like an air compressor system or impact drivers, etc. I would love to soon.

I will need to get the following before I start this project:
Torque Wrench
Valve Spring Compressor
Lapping Tool
Fuel Line Disconnect Tool
3 jaw puller

Any tips on what I should get that won’t break the bank would be helpful.

This is the first time I have ever attempted to go inside the engine and have been doing a lot of research like memorizing the steps of some guy changing his head gasket below.

http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/Dodge_4.html

I have also been watching videos on Youtube about cleaning the heads and doing a valve job. Although the videos are not for a Dodge I think the series from Jafromobile is great.

I have located a machine shop in the area that I know has been around for a long time and is pretty reputable but I am not sure how there prices are. Plus I am getting a little confused by the price list

Noels Machine Shop
http://www.noelsmachineshop.com/MachineshopPricing.html

Some Questions I Have
Timing Chain - I hear that it is logical to replace the timing chain since I will already be in there . At the same time, I believe that the cost of the chains and the tensioners run about $200. And I was told that they can last for a couple hundred thousand miles. I do not want to change them if I don’t have to for financial reasons.

Gaskets - Where is the best place to get a gasket kit and what should I know when getting one?
What are some good tips for attempting this for the first time.
What kind of products do you like to use?

I am both excited and nervous at the same time because this is my daily driver. I can car pool for a while but I don’t want to have everything blow up in my face here.

Wish me luck,

Stephen

PS - I will keep posting updates with progress so others may learn from my mistakes.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Replacement - First Time - Need Support and Guidance