3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

check engine after stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to know for sure. Too many variables at this point. You can troubleshoot the code for the cam sensor and hope its just coincidence that the cel came right after the stereo. Or, verify the stereo is installed properly and there are no poor grounds or bad splices and then see if the other issues go away.

Not sure how professional they are to begin with if they don't even give you a receipt listing what you paid for. And if they did bypass the harness and cut and splice your wiring, they definitely aren't professional. I am about to change the head unit in my Chevy and keep the factory sound and that requires an adapter harness as well. So Rams aren't special that way and a pro should know that.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 PM
SteveRamirez

had the battery tested at local battery shop, tested fine. the only spliced wires following stereo instillation was pre-harness through a black/red wire going into what looked like a fuse connector. new fault code of p-0340 engine-codes.com/p0340.html could it be that it is the camshaft sensor and it was just coincidence it happened after getting the stereo installed?

Attached Thumbnails check engine after stereo install-imag0609-2.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

There should be no spliced wires except between a new adapter, which should be plugged in at one end to the factory wiring harness, and the new head unit. I don't know the wiring scheme for these trucks, but if they pulled a rookie move and went looking for a hot red wire with12v and a black ground wire, they didn't do it right.

Read this link and look at all the possible causes for a p0340. Your issue just after a hacked stereo install just sounds too fishy to not be related.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0340

I had to buy the adapter below to install my new radio to the factory system.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120CHTO...e.html?tp=3486

Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
There should be no spliced wires except between a new adapter, which should be plugged in at one end to the factory wiring harness, and the new head unit. I don't know the wiring scheme for these trucks, but if they pulled a rookie move and went looking for a hot red wire with12v and a black ground wire, they didn't do it right.

Read this link and look at all the possible causes for a p0340. Your issue just after a hacked stereo install just sounds too fishy to not be related.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0340

I had to buy the adapter below to install my new radio to the factory system.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120CHTO...e.html?tp=3486

These issues are likely 100% unrelated, just coincidental.

Replace the sensors, he will only need the CHTO-02 Harness if he has a 2004 or higher from what I remember...

Since he did have the Infinity Stereo system from the factory, and from the OPs description it sounds like they used an Amp Integration harness which would require that they run a 12+ Ignition power wire. Most of the time installers will just use one of the cig. lighters for this.

That is not "Amateur"... it is required when using those harnesses.

It is "fishy" that this all happened right after a stereo install.... but if they didn't give you any kind of receipt or work order then you are pretty much screwed if you wanted to make a claim against their insurance.

My suggestion is to replace the sensors that are indicated by the DTCs and if it doesn't go away then you will have to get me some pictures of where they wired everything to and we can begin the real fun.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 AM
SteveRamirez

is it worth paying almost double to get it from my local dodge dealership or will the duralast model at autozone work fine? it has a limited lifetime warranty but says it may need a pigtail to install correctly

Old 05-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Izero
Champion

pig tail is what should be plugged into the switch that is in there now...

Honestly I would go to Rockauto.com and purchase it from there... I never buy the "re-manufactured" trash from those stores....

Last edited by Izero; 05-01-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 AM
SteveRamirez

needed a quick fix so i went with the autozone part. started and stopped it 4 or 5 times over the course of 20 miles, no CEL. sometimes wants to go to a worryingly low rpm(350-500) when decelerating and sometimes idling. is this normal if it only occurs occasionally? ive read threads where the tps has caused this to happen without setting off faults.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Izero
Champion

it is possible that the TPS system is giving you an issue, but I would also check for vacuum leaks, as they can cause that to happen too

Quick Reply: check engine after stereo install