3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to site! Please help!! 2005 Ram 5.7 Hemi

Old 06-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Kwakattack23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to site! Please help!! 2005 Ram 5.7 Hemi

Hello everyone! I'd first like to say thank you to all who respond and try to help!

Here is the problem/problems I am experiencing. I would take a video to help diagnose but issue does not happen in park, only while driving. I am getting two separate whine/whistles when the car is driving.

The first noise I would describe as a whine. It occurs at around 3k RPM until the trans shifts. I originally thought it was a pully and since replaced the two idlers, belt tensioner, as well as put a new belt on. It's no so much of an issue when not accelerating hard.

My second issue kicks in at higher RPM and is a whistle. Almost sounds like I have a CAI but I do not. I just got the truck so I'm not 100% sure what is "normal" but it is a pretty significant whistle.

If you have any suggestions that would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!!!

Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Trans whine is normally the front pump or TC.

Whistle is kinda normal. It's usually aerodynamics from wind on the road under certain conditions or air getting sucked into the intake/engine.

I wouldn't worry to much about the whistle. When was the last time you changed oil and filters in the trans? Same for differential oil?

Old 06-15-2014, 02:28 PM
BubsHemiRam

I had a loud whistle at high rpm and it turned out to be an exhaust leak at the y pipe, but it sounded like it was at the front of the engine.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Kwakattack23

Just a little update. I did have a chance to get the truck on a lift and take a look at the exhaust. Everything seems solid besides 2 bolts on the passenger side that rusted through the heat shield and exhaust manifold. I'm hoping once fixed that will solve the whistle under acceleration

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to site! Please help!! 2005 Ram 5.7 Hemi