3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do Fuel Pumps usuasly die and stay dead?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 PM
jayjsea
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Fuel Pumps usuasly die and stay dead?

02 Ram 1500 165K miles 5.9 auto 4x4. Always been a good trunk, use it daily, drive to and from work. It dies/stalls on me while driving down the road, I can start it back up, with no problem, and keep on going... No diag Codes posted .
I removed and cleaned TB, and sensors, it ran well for a while, then died again, replaced IAC Sensor seemed to fix it, but, then did it again, only this time, when it died and would not start back up, it acted like a bad fuel pump. This truck has never been hard to start, just one crank and away she goes. It would crank but no start.(This happened right before a busy intersection where i coasted thru and stopped on the other side just out of traffic, and right at sundown, so I really couldnt troubleshoot at the time. Ended up geting it towed home (35+ miles grrrr ).
I figured it was the fuel pump because of the symptom, and also because its an original FP. I went out to work on it this morning, and it started right up....fuel pump seems to be working just fine.
Do Ram Fuel Pumps normally go out all at once, or do they fail intermittantly first, this? Ive had oher brand vehicles FP fail but when they go, theyre dead not to return...

Last edited by jayjsea; 05-04-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-05-2013, 12:25 AM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine died right after refueling. I banged on the tank and she started right up, only to die again 2 hours later. That was all she wrote. Had to have it towed home. By the way mine had 145k when it failed.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:30 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

They can get a bad spot in the windings and intermittently start.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 66three83
Mine died right after refueling. I banged on the tank and she started right up, only to die again 2 hours later. That was all she wrote. Had to have it towed home. By the way mine had 145k when it failed.
My '95 Ram 2500 Wagon did the same thing. I had developed the really bad habit of running it "down to fumes". I didn't try the bang-on-the-tank thing. Some students helped me push it off the street-uphill! That was an expensive lesson. I fill up at 1/4 tank now.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:41 PM
jayjsea

I appreciate all input here; it’s nice to bounce ideas around with someone. I was unable to get the truck to start for the hour or so till the tow truck showed up, then didn’t try to start it till a couple days later when I went to work on it. That’s when it started right up. My son works close to home so he took it to work, and drove around a bit. Truck had no problems, and started each time he tried. I normally run about 1/2 a tank thru it each week, but must admit I end up running on the bottom 1/2 of the 26 gal tank. It has a half tank in it when it failed on me.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Dakota 318 did the same thing. Attach a guage to the fuel rail, then you'll know for sure.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have seen a bad crank sensor cause this issue on a couple of cars before.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 AM
jayjsea

Ok, so, here we go. Trunk has not had the problem in a week. Drove it several times, no issues. Starts every time. I checked the Fuel Pressure at the rail Schrader valve, started the truck, Pressure goes to 49PSI and stays there does not move at all, stayed connected till truck was warm, no change. Turned truck off, fuel line stays pressurized at about 40 PSI for over 10 minutes. I decide I will drive it to work Monday morning. I went to station and put gas in the truck, and coming home, it died! It cranks but no start, just like before. Symptoms. NO Spark, checked at coil. NO Fuel Pressure when cranking, attached the pressure gauge, NO Dash Gauges, shows no fuel in tank no temp, no battery volt info etc. The "idiot lights i.e. seatbelt, brake lite do illuminate. Truck does crank. I have dome, dash, headlights, horn works, flashers work.
I’ll get a chance to look at it further tonight after work. any input is appreciated!

Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the Fuel Pump and eliminate one of the possibles....

Old 05-13-2013, 12:29 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

That sounds like a fuse box/wiring issue to me.

Quick Reply: Do Fuel Pumps usuasly die and stay dead?