3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed plugs after going bad, drives great, turned on AC, plugs go bad again?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:11 AM
bribri
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed plugs after going bad, drives great, turned on AC, plugs go bad again?

06 1500 V6 single cab

Driving down the road 2 days ago. I turn on AC. Later engine light comes on. Truck shakes. I turn everything off and check fluids. It throws cylinder 2 misfire code.

I change all 6 plugs.

Drives great.

I drive about 50 miles on it and turn on the Air conditioner. As soon as I do so the engine light comes on and it goes back to shaking intermittently while driving down the road and bogging down real bad again just like before I changed the plugs.

This gets me to remember that it also happened when I turned the AC on the first time but it wasn't important in my mind the first time.

So I am wondering what is going on. I will try to provide all the information I can.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Few Questions:

What type of plugs are you using? (Copper, Platinum, etc?)

What Gap did you set the plug to?

How many miles on truck?

Is it still Cylinder #2 that is misfiring?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM
bribri

Did not gap it so the plugs are set to the default they came out of the box at. I didn't have a gapping tool. My brother changed his plugs a few months ago without setting the gap on his plugs and he has the same year but with a V8 so I didn't think much about it.

I bought the Bosch Platinum 2 plugs

I cant tell which cylinder it is this time. The last time I was able to get the code through the ignition method although it took a few tries. This time it won't give me a code. I have tried over 2 dozen times trying to make it give me the code.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the code if it shows the same cylinder it best to try a different COP to see if it resolves the problem. Not sure how the A/C is affect it though except for how close it is to it or the wiring.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Keep the A/C off, and reset the computer. See what happens.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Izero
Champion

You've done two things wrong.

1) You did not Gap your plugs... consult your owners manual for correct gap.

2) You used Platinum Plugs... Many Dodge vehicles do not respond well to Platinum plugs.

Get Copper Plugs Gap them correctly, remove the platinum garbage and install your copper plugs. Don't forget some dielectric grease on the wire connection part of the plug, and some anti-seize on the threads.

If the problem comes back then swap the coil from the misfiring cylinder with another "good" coil from another cylinder, if the problem stays at the original cylinder then you know you have a bigger problem, if it carries to the new cylinder then you have a bad coil.

Let us know how you make out.

Oh and Gapping Tools are like $5 at the autoparts store, so no excuse not to have one.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM
bribri

Got the code, same cylinder. I will purchase a plug gapper and find the correct gap for it and do that.

Right now it seems like all cylinders are running after I had to drive it to the store AND that's while the AC was on. I will look into getting Copper plugs as well when I am near a walmart. That will likely also be when I pick up the gapper.

I appreciate all of the information so far. Hopefully this will correct it.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by bribri
Got the code, same cylinder. I will purchase a plug gapper and find the correct gap for it and do that.

Right now it seems like all cylinders are running after I had to drive it to the store AND that's while the AC was on. I will look into getting Copper plugs as well when I am near a walmart. That will likely also be when I pick up the gapper.

I appreciate all of the information so far. Hopefully this will correct it.

No problem.

Sometimes if you over tighten them you can close the gap by mistake so pull that cylinder first and check it out...

Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by Izero
No problem.

Sometimes if you over tighten them you can close the gap by mistake so pull that cylinder first and check it out...

The only way I see to change the gap by over tightening them, is if they are hitting the top of the piston, and then you really have a problem. If you know another way, please let us know how it occurs

Old 06-18-2013, 10:14 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Old man with a Hemi2
The only way I see to change the gap by over tightening them, is if they are hitting the top of the piston, and then you really have a problem. If you know another way, please let us know how it occurs
Supposedly you can torque the body of the plug just enough to change the gap and make it do funny things. Dunno, never had an issue.

Snug -> another 1/4-1/2 turn of the ratchet works for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changed plugs after going bad, drives great, turned on AC, plugs go bad again?