3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 wheel drive shifter moves freely and...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:14 AM
asking79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive shifter moves freely and...

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4. It's always been fine and I usually only use 4 wheel drive in snow and such when needed. The other day it started making a "rattling" sound and I noticed that the 4x4 shifter was vibrating so I tried to put it in 4 wheel drive and the shifter just moved freely with no resistance at all and it won't change into any gears. When I got back to driving I noticed that the rattling sound was a lot louder and when I'm driving I grabbed the 4x4 shifter and it vibrates like crazy and if I move it the rattling changes how loud it is and how bad it is. I've never experienced this before, and this is my first 4x4, does anyone have any idea what this is and how to fix it? Thanks.

Last edited by asking79; 08-12-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:49 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF.

Did you check the linkage underneath? It may have just came apart and needs putting back together.

Will move you to the correct section.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A linkage bushing failed. Probably fell apart. Hopefully the linkage is still hanging underneath. You can reach under and manually shift the transfer case if you need to until you fix it.

Do a search of this section, I have a repair post and some other alternate fixes are around with methods that improve on the original design...

Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM
asking79

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
A linkage bushing failed. Probably fell apart. Hopefully the linkage is still hanging underneath. You can reach under and manually shift the transfer case if you need to until you fix it.

Do a search of this section, I have a repair post and some other alternate fixes are around with methods that improve on the original design...
The noise stopped and I never saw anything hanging underneath, I checked several times after it started and after it stopped making the noise. Where are the other posts at? Thanks for the responses.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM
asking79

Originally Posted by jasonw
Welcome to DF.

Did you check the linkage underneath? It may have just came apart and needs putting back together.

Will move you to the correct section.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html
Apologies, I didn't even see that thread before posting...

Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 AM
oldskool83

it is the linkage bushings. when i bought my 04 hemi they guy said 4x4 worked perfectly and then i put it in it did nothing, it was like a joy stick. we looked under neath about middle of truck its silver and bushing were dry rotted out. it was a 15 mi fix at the dealer.

not a perfect design but still better over 2nd gens vacuum lines.

hope that helps.

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive shifter moves freely and...