3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Emergency Brake Replacement Procedure on a 2004 Dodge RAM 2500

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Bison9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Brake Replacement Procedure on a 2004 Dodge RAM 2500

So, I am almost done with this huge project I have undertaken on my 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins. I got to the last wheel last night (driver's side rear) and went to install my new rotor. She wouldn't go back on to place because the parking break was too far out. Well, no biggy I thought - just turn your star gear, compress er down and be on ur way... Yeah, wrong... The star doesn't turn the adjuster so it must be stripped or... So, now to replace probably the whole setup back there. Lord help me if I have to drop the whole axle to get to this like some people suggest online.

I have a Dodge RAM 2500 (2004). The setup looks like it looks in the vid below. Can I follow this procedure? I really just need to replace the adjuster with the star gear on it to be honest. If any of you know the correct procedure for this on a RAM 2500 that would really help. I haven't found a thing online for this for the RAM 2500.

Thanks for any replies you all can give me!

Vid that is of the most help for this:

Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 AM
Bison9
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so you wanna know something crazy!?! So, I looked at my Chilton's manual, took a deep breath and went back out to attempt to disassemble the star gear thingy so I could take er in and replace it in the morning... Well, for the crap of it, before I started this, I took my two two fingers and spun star gear one more time and then it hit me that it takes just a long stinken time to get that thing to ream down. It turned in, compressed the E brake and voila! Rotor went on!

I promptly went inside and told my wife I was going to finish that side and get this darn truck back on 4 wheels. I tested the function of the E brakes on both rear sides and it gripped when I engaged it and released when I released it. Game on.

So, the front end is pretty much rebuilt at this point and the brake system is over-hauled on this truck!

I am waiting now for my Big D's off road steering stabilizer and I am replacing the steering linkage as well.

Then, the last thing I will do is bleed the brake system (flush it with new fluid). Then its in to town for new tires and an alignment!

Thanks all for your great replies. I could not have done this project without you guys and this site.

Quick Reply: Emergency Brake Replacement Procedure on a 2004 Dodge RAM 2500